diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   The Lounge (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/lounge/)
-   -   Preparing for another huricane (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/lounge/222311-preparing-another-huricane.html)

jackinnj 27th October 2012 12:31 AM

Preparing for another huricane

1 Attachment(s)
Met a friend in Shop-Rite @7:00 a.m. -- she had an entire supermarket cart filled with jugs of water -- her husband had already stocked up the beer.

Well, we're sitting here again awaiting Sandy's arrival on Monday afternoon.

kevinkr 27th October 2012 12:48 AM

Us as well up here in the Boston area.. Hopefully more media hype.. Don't need another stinkin' hurricane.. :D

kevinkr 28th October 2012 11:29 PM

Surprised there isn't more interest in this thread.. :D NYC is shutting down the subway system because flooding is possible due to the storm surge which apparently is going to be significant. They're predicting a meter storm surge around here, I'm 5m above sea level and about 400m from the shore here..

Lots of stuff closing early and not opening tomorrow around here. Strange run on bottled water and bagels.. LOL

Hopefully this will turn out to be a case of media hype, unfortunately last year's hurricane and Nor' Easter weren't - hoping this isn't real.. :D

jackinnj 28th October 2012 11:31 PM

Just finished dinner and walked the pooch -- temperature has dropped about 6 degrees and the wind has kicked up to around 25 mph

kevinkr 28th October 2012 11:36 PM

Cooled off drastically here this afternoon, gusty and a little light rain - not much so far, but I understand it will get going in earnest late tonight.

7n7is 29th October 2012 09:34 AM

I'm north of Washington DC. I have a generator and inverter which I haven't used yet and need to figure out how to supply power to the circuit breaker panel in case the power goes out. The gas furnace needs electricity for the fan. I also have a kerosine heater. I have a gas water heater that doesn't need electricity to work. Turning on the hot water in the shower can be used to heat the bathroom and the area outside of the bathroom. Hopefully, the gas doesn't shut off.

sofaspud 29th October 2012 10:00 AM

I think you'd want to remove the main breaker to temporarily disconnect from the grid, then tap into the furnace branch (at its breaker if your generator system has its own protection built in).

Zen Mod 29th October 2012 10:25 AM

good luck , boys

tvrgeek 29th October 2012 12:31 PM

Just West of DC. It is taking a south dip. They say we could get 10 inches of rain instead of the 6 they said yesterday. That is more than our drains can handle. Quite concerned.

It is TOTALLY illegal to put a generator into your house power without a transfer switch. (Usually people feed the dryer plug). This KILLS linemen every year as mistakes with the main breaker happen. I have a plug handy so I can rewire my furnace into the generator pigtail.

I have the parts for a transfer switch, but the &*&*^*& electrictions see the word generator and triple their rate thinking the homeowner will panic and pay anything. They wanted two days rates to do two hours of work.

Be VERY careful of the kero heaters. They kill a lot of people from CO poising. They are for space heating VENTELATED spaces. Same with the propane heaters used on construction sites. Every year, some people put the generator in their garage or basement and gas themselves.

Never lost gas. Gas stove and matches. Last time, the entire town was out, so our FIOS went down. The cell tower batteries went down. ( No phones of any kind, no internet, no TV. I had to actually read a book. Good think I am of the older generation so I remember how.

sofaspud 29th October 2012 02:39 PM

Note that I wrote "remove" and "disconnect." Grandpa was an REA lineman.