Preparing for another huricane - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th October 2012, 02:46 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

I really hope that this is media hype and that all of the people on the Eastern Seaboard come through this OK. We might get a little damp here in Ottawa but that's nothing compared to what you guys are supposed to get.

Good luck
Matt
Old 29th October 2012, 02:52 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Verizon is really disturbed that I didn't switch to FIOS from POTS -- they even sent a gal out to the house to discuss -- and I told her that the fiber optic was out for a week, twice last year with hurricane Irene and the Halloween snowstorm -- but the copper worked just fine -- this was before POE.
Old 29th October 2012, 03:06 PM   #13
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Can't get FIOS here (just south of Boston) unfortunately - my DSL is pretty slow, and not completely reliable either - although not bad..
Old 29th October 2012, 03:06 PM   #14
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Two problems. The on-site battery to keep the Modem alive is only good for about 6 hours. The second problem is that the repeaters don't seem to have enough backup power. (less than 24 hours it seems) So even when I powered up my Modem with my generator, the main system was still down. The cell towers UPS were also not long enough. Fortunately for us here in Bowie, they have good old diesel backup power for the water and sewer pumps.

I switched to FIOS because the year I did have Comcast, besides half the channels being half-scan, bad ghosts and noisy, it was out frequently. My POTS is too far from the CO to have DSL and out lines were so bad, I was connecting at 300 to 1200 baud. I had Dish for TV for several years, but they were slow in getting HD rolled out and I have to shoot right through a line of big trees. When wet, no picture. So, FIOS was by far the best option. It has only been out the one time when the entire county was out for a week. The biggest problem is the gas stations don;t have generators, so they could not pump gas for your generators. I keep an old bow-tie antenna around so I can get TV if we have a real disaster.
Old 29th October 2012, 03:12 PM   #15
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofaspud View Post
Note that I wrote "remove" and "disconnect." Grandpa was an REA lineman.
I saw that. Actually it scared me as most main breakers are not snap in, but bolted to the line. Unless you pull the meter, that is more than a bit dangerous. For all you know, the linemen could restore power while you have your hand on the screwdriver. Then putting the aluminum entrance back without proper procedure is a recipe for a fire.

I was also providing caution to any who may be reading this and not understand electricity as well as we do. If you don't know what "one in the pocket" means, stay out of the panel.
Old 29th October 2012, 03:58 PM   #16
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

stay safe guys, heard this on the news earlier today and the satellite pics look nasty! hoping everyone comes through this OK
Old 29th October 2012, 05:17 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek View Post
I keep an old bow-tie antenna around so I can get TV if we have a real disaster.
You need a converter as ordinary analog TV transmission went off the air a couple years ago in the US. I think they still have them at Radio Shack.

The train station at Hoboken is apparently flooded -- this means that the PATH tubes are probably flooded as well.
Old 29th October 2012, 06:43 PM   #18
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

It's getting stormier here, but around noon my wife and I went down to the beach which is a few blocks from our house. By the time we left the beach I estimate gusts in excess of 50mph. (80km/h)

I've uploaded a few pictures, unfortunately they are a bit fuzzy as I needed to protect my camera inside of a plastic bag which ruined contrast amongst other things. I should note that these are in color although that is not the least bit obvious from looking at them.

Usually we have ducks, Canada geese, and sea gulls in abundance - they left days ago.

Lots of salt spray and water everywhere - I was soaked by the time we headed the few blocks home.

We are 17' above sea level and about 1000' from the water..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wollaston Beach Reservation.jpg (131.5 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg Wollaston Beach Reservation6.jpg (171.9 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg Wollaston Beach Reservation13.jpg (173.8 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg Wollaston Beach Reservation18.jpg (133.0 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg Wollaston Beach Reservation12.jpg (183.8 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg Wollaston Beach Reservation16.jpg (141.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Wollaston Beach Reservation19.jpg (140.8 KB, 35 views)
Old 29th October 2012, 07:22 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Just a few minutes ago they announced that the bay across from Long Beach Island in NJ and the ocean were at the same level in places -- this could be worse than the Huricane of '38.
Old 29th October 2012, 07:33 PM   #20
evanc is online now evanc  United States
diyAudio Member

Location: New Jersey. About 1 hour from NYC and 1 min. from the beach
Definitely scary at my house. Check out jersey shore hurricane news on Facebook for some interesting pics.
Evan

Hide this!Advertise here!