Preparing for another huricane

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It gave my inner ear trouble, woke up and thought I was falling & felt bad all day

I have been affected with a middle ear disorder called Menieres disease. It causes bouts of dizziness that last anywhere from a few minutes to a month or more. Each attack takes another little bit of my hearing and leaves some increase in tinitus. The pressure drop from a hurricane almost always sets off an attack. Most have been mild, just some dizziness and a general queasy feeling for a day or two. I just happen to live where hurricanes visit often.

I think it was a Mayor up there that said "we're getting 100 year storms - every 2 years". My brother's place took a bit hit, 3' water surge, turned everything upside down, found a kayak sicking thru his garage door (and much much more).

Attachments

• Sandy 1.jpg
    Sandy 1.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 105
Did the Coast Guards chase all the shipping into port? Those would be some impressive wave heights even for Lake Superior!

The Coasties didn't need to chase them off. There are websites where you can view the worldwide movement of ships equipped with AIS -a radio beacon that broadcasts ship ID and position/speed/direction. I was watching it periodically and as Sandy took her left turn the lower Great Lakes fleet went to ports or sheltered anchorages as the sea conditions were superbly predicted by forecasts at least 3 days ahead. Nice work NOAA!

The storm was classified as a "post tropical cyclone" not a huricane.

I was watching this mess, and the TV news coverage from far away. Seattle....went to visit the grandkids. The TV reported that this was the first time a tropical storm, a cold front, and a strong jet stream all collided with disastrous results. This is not true.

About 5 years ago A late season (end of OCT) category 1 storm (hurricane Wilma) met a cold front swept in by the jet stream over south Florida. The weather casters got it all wrong, telling us that it would be a minor event, and only basic prep would be needed. The storm came from the west and travelled across the state before reaching us. It was pretty much uneventful and we were outside watching the winds and talking with the neighbors during the quiet time inside the eye. When the eye wall reached the warm Atlantic water the entire sky turned black and very angry looking. We saw a nearly black wall of ugliness coming down the street towards us (the back side of the eye wall), turned and ran into our houses. There was about 15 minutes of the most evil storm winds I have seen in my 60 years in Florida. About 30% of the houses in a 15 mile path lost their roofs, or entire structures. These were concrete block houses built to withstand a minimum of a cat 3 storm without damage.

Our power and water was out for 3 weeks, cable TV, cell phone, and landline were out for 2 months. Gas stations couldn't pump gas because they had no power. Food was in short supply. FEMA brought bottled water, but we had to drive 50 miles north for gas and food.

From what I have seen on TV and internet, this is what happened here. There seems to be pockets of total destruction with a general mess over a much larger area. I don't know if there can be a large area of tornado like activity around the eye wall, but thats the only way I can describe the weather I saw and the path of damage it left in both cases.

I snapped this picture of a house across the street during the beginning of the 15 minutes of terror. The rest of the roof and some of the structure was gone in about 5 more minutes. I wasn't outside watching! The occupants weren't hurt, but it took nearly a year before they could return to their house.

Attachments

• RoofGone.jpg
    RoofGone.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 84
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.