diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   The Lounge (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/lounge/)
-   -   most annoying sound (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/lounge/221816-most-annoying-sound.html)

PeteMcK 19th October 2012 04:09 AM

most annoying sound

No, it's not a bunch of audiophiles raving about their cables...:

What is the Most Annoying Sound in the World? | Surprising Science

KaffiMann 19th October 2012 02:48 PM

"They also played the participants a number of more pleasant noises. Here were the four they rated as the least irritating:

1. Applause
2. A baby laughing
3. Thunder
4. Water flowing"

Surprised that a baby's laughter was 2nd and not 1st. I LOVE thunder though, whenever there's lightning I go outside to feel all the vibrations in the air, it's such a good sound.

Michael Rothacher 19th October 2012 02:51 PM

The Most Annoying Sound In The World - YouTube

sofaspud 19th October 2012 03:25 PM

What I find interesting is 16 participants gets a published write-up. That doesn't seem to jive with some other listening test requirements I read about.

powerflux 19th October 2012 04:10 PM

i find the sound of hammering on metal even more painful than the pure SPL of an anglegrinder.

but the most irritating? sounds that i can't explain while driving a car.

KaffiMann 19th October 2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sofaspud (Post 3207454)
What I find interesting is 16 participants gets a published write-up. That doesn't seem to jive with some other listening test requirements I read about.

I very much agree, but I suspect 100-1000 participants would be too much time wasted with the MRI machine, they have to reserve it for the use. It is after all preparations for the test + preparations for the machine + 74 sounds played + time to evaluate each sound + analysis of the material and the brain scans + whatever else 16 times over. It takes a while. Not comparitive to 100 people on the street answering 5 questions each.

Cal Weldon 19th October 2012 05:54 PM

I wonder how many sounds were in the sample? I ask because I can think of two that are more annoying than those.

1. The 'out of reach' ticking clock, on a Sunday morning.

2. When you pick up the phone, the silence you hear between the auto-dialer and when the telemarketer comes on.

5th element 19th October 2012 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cal Weldon (Post 3207614)

2. When you pick up the phone, the silence you hear between the auto-dialer and when the telemarketer comes on.

What's more annoying is the fact you stopped what you were doing, all to be asked if you've had your loft insulated this year, or if you or your family have been injured...arrrrrg!

Vix 19th October 2012 06:53 PM

Mobile phone ringtone of one of my colleagues. It is supposed to be some instrumental, but it sounds like scratching guitar wires with nails while pigs are screetching in the background....

Cal Weldon 19th October 2012 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vix (Post 3207689)
while pigs are screetching in the background....

Sounds like college party to me.