What are you Watching?

Both great westerns! If you haven't, the Coen Bros + Bridges True Grit (2010) is also worth seeing. Newcomer Hailee Steinfeld is amazing and Jeff Bridges nails his version of Rooster Cogburn.

I recently got this in the mail:

129_box_348x490_original.jpg

As gritty and killer an example of cinema verite as you will ever find.

speaking of remakes - fan boy alert

MV5BMzQ2NzYwOTEzMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjExNTMxOA@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

worth the price of the popcorn every time to see Bryan Cranston and Bill Nighy - and Kate & Jessica? .... jus sayin

love the cast listing: "Kaitlyn Leeb - three breasted woman"

Oh, you want a coherent story line instead of $5M a minute in CGI? , try something with less than 12 names accredited for story/screen play

I just use the Image icon to copy and paste the URL from IMDB page

for the record, the most recent post was "the Spectacular Now",

and the previous was the 2012 remake of "Total Recall" -

(spoiler alert): not visiting Mars didn't affect the story for me at all - although it would have been fun to see the scientific explanation for how the "the Fall" could work at all, much less survive its antipodean transit essentially unscathed

I just use the Image icon to copy and paste the URL from IMDB page

for the record, the most recent post was "the Spectacular Now",

and the previous was the 2012 remake of "Total Recall" -

(spoiler alert): not visiting Mars didn't affect the story for me at all - although it would have been fun to see the scientific explanation
for how the "the Fall" could work at all, much less survive its antipodean transit essentially unscathed

Now I'm glad that you just mentioned them titles, as prior to that I was swimming blind.

* Tip: Use another source than IMDb. ...Like Amazon, etc. ...About you, can you see your own pictures?
{Them IMDb URL image addresses are sure long, complicated and just not worth your precious time - Only one small mistake and caput!}
=> Yeah, use picture covers from Amazon.com, or Blu-ray.com if you watch them on Blu-rays, or Allmovie.com there ya go.

Last edited:
I remember being totally unimpressed by this remake, maybe it was just the lousy theater sound, or the moron sitting behind that distracted me from absorbing the subtleties and nuances of this film.

jeff

While I had no such moronic nearby company, I felt much the same disappointment, nay, distress, after spending the almost $20 to sit through the 3D IMAX full body assault that was "Prometheus". - apologies to fans of Ridley's work, but I simply didn't enjoy it, and haven't been willing to give this one another chance. As my wife would say "once is enough, dear"

FWIW, I'm rather a fan of Colin Ferrel's work, and certainly much preferred his performance to Arnold's in the original. Well, actually, to be honest, I can barely tolerate Arnold - decent enough physical "actor" in his earlier days, but when he opens his mouth in any attempt to emote as a human being,:eek: - he does make a fine cyborg. Dwayne Johnson is far more fun to watch in that genre.

Bob: Thanks for the tip - yah, the images did show up on the first couple of post views on the originating computer, then poof.

Prometheus was a train wreck in my opinion. An overwrought, under-thought, gore-fest, tarted up as high minded science fiction epic. No offense meant to those who liked it.

Yeah, I thought Colin Farrel was the only decent thing in the 2012 Total Recall. Everything else was pretty "meh" for me.

About Arnold, in addition to playing a solid cyborg, I though he was pretty good as straight up barbarian in Conan :).

Last night, I watched "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2" just because it was on Netflix and I'd meant to watch it. Definitely much more formulaic than the first, some pretty pictures, a lot of excessive verbal and visual cuteness, not really worth watching again.