HiFi costs explained... - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th September 2012, 09:37 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagehenley View Post
Wow seems I've started an interesting debate...back to the actual components and physical hardware...

For 500GBP what amplifiers do you think I should consider and if that's DIY then who would be the best person to speak directly to about buying/building one?

Also can anyone recommend a DAC?
Hello,
The person you need to address your question to in this forum, Hugh Dean, is unable to do so at this time. It is easy to read the threads that explain why this is so. You might want to try a different forum to find an answer to your question(s), as Aspen only makes amplifiers.

Last edited by stvnharr; 9th September 2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 9th September 2012, 09:38 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperTop View Post
I was just responding to a fairly generic question at the top of the thread:

But point taken. I'll get my coat.
Nothing wrong with the topic or discussion, but unless it's aspen oriented, perhaps belongs in another forum.
Old 9th September 2012, 09:44 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by counter culture View Post

We're told that all AKSA amplifiers sound different. That makes them failures in my book. I buy or build an amplifier to listen to music, not to listen to the amplifier, and I feel compelled to point out to the OP, that if this is in fact the case, then his taste might lead him to consider a range of amplifiers intended not to colour the program material.
Of course Hugh's products each make the music sound different from each other, otherwise there would be no need to design and make new products. That of course is not to say that they don't all contain similarities to each other as well.
Old 9th September 2012, 10:12 PM   #34
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Mods, maybe relocate this thread...

...to a more appropriate forum (but don't end it).

Regarding the costs of hifi equipment: this is the bane of high-end audio in general. There are a few reasons for the high cost compared to the actual component content costs.
  • usually the actual cost of goods is about 10% of "retail" including labour
  • packaging can often be the single largest cost, followed by shipping, advertising and marketing, and any distributor surcharges
  • in Canada, where I live, our population is distributed east to west with most (80% or so) living within 250 miles of the US border and our transportation routes are indicative of that.
  • Canada's tax scheme is similar to the UK's in that our taxes are relatively high compared to the US', as we have a fairly robust social welfare and public health care systems.

Now of course there are other factors such as the cost of commodities that are used in the manufacture of electric/electronic components and the actual costs associated with engineering the product.

One of the ways to maximize content to price ratios is to dig.
Old 10th September 2012, 04:16 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
...to a more appropriate forum (but don't end it).

[B]Regarding the costs of hifi equipment.
The cost of a product is not just the cost of the final product, and the parts therein. For each final product there likely has been a few prototype projects, and all the costs and supplies associated with that. There are hours and hours of design work, and all that that entails. There are a great many hidden costs that end users never see or think about.
Old 10th September 2012, 04:29 AM   #36
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

I don't know if other AKSA owners have had the same experience, but the pre amp used can make quite a difference.

The pre amp referred to in post #19 is a very simple op amp buffer (no gain) and worked better than expected, especially as it was basically a modded cMoy PCB running off a regulated 12VDC plug pack with rails split by a TLE2426.
JDS Labs - cMoyBB v2.03 PCB - Standard
Old 10th September 2012, 04:54 AM   #37
just another
diyAudio Moderator

I've moved the thread to the lounge. The redirect will expire in a week.
Old 10th September 2012, 12:37 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitz View Post
I don't know if other AKSA owners have had the same experience, but the pre amp used can make quite a difference.

JDS Labs - cMoyBB v2.03 PCB - Standard
The new Aspen GK-2 pre amp is the real deal, and one of the best there is, at any price, anywhere. Unfortunately it is a too well kept secret.

Now that this has been moved to a proper forum, most of my posts pertaining to "why is this in the aksa forum" seem a bit out of place.
Old 10th September 2012, 12:44 PM   #39
just another
diyAudio Moderator

I wouldn't worry about it stvnharr The original post mentioned AKSA, and quite a bit of dialog has been around Aspen amps, but the question was a generic one so moving from the AKSA forum to the lounge did seem the appropriate thing to do, anyone who reads this far will know why they seem out of place (if they notice at all ).

Tony.
Old 10th September 2012, 12:46 PM   #40
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

At the cheaper end of a market you are probably getting what you pay for. You can choose what you want to pay for. Money spent on appearance hasn't been spent on sound, but you can choose.

At the expensive end of a market you can pay more for a better product, or you can pay for exclusivity and a nice story. Some combination of these two is of course also possible. 'Better' can mean better sound, or better appearance, or better reliability. In some cases 'better' can mean 'tailored to specific tastes' which might actually mean 'worse' in a technical sense.

A 1000 amplifier will sound better than a 200 one, especially if you know which is which.

Hide this!Advertise here!