How do you do it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am wondering what kind of cameras people used to take such good picture and yet the picture is big but the size of the file is small enough for posting here?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=252565#post252565

If I scan my postcard size pictures the file size is like average of 23M, and if I use photoshop to reduce the size the quality of the final version is very poor with the change from 23M to 83k.

How and what is the norm to play with jpg files?

Chris

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Chris,

It depends a lot on the initial image. Images with lots of fine detail don't compress as well with jpg. I just did an experiment. I got a photo I had previously scanned (It is a test photo, I shot while evaluating a new 20mm lens). It is scanned at 4000dpi off the negative. original scan is around 125MB in size 5600X3868 pixels.

I resised in photoshop to 800 X 533 using bicubic resampling, the saved as a jpeg with quality level 7. too big at 158kb.

So I resaved at quality level 5, now 95Kb which is within the limit (just). The quality on this looks ok to me. I also saved with quality level 0. This then got it down to 44Kb but artefacts are pretty apparent. The only other thing I did was manually adjust the levels a bit. Unsharp masking if done properly can also enhance the image

I'll attach the image which is nothing special (basically the view out the front of the camera shop). I did nothing more that what I have said here. No smoke and mirrors just a bit of trial and error.

Regards,

Tony.

edit: this was taken on a nikon F80 with nikon 20mm lens. using fuji presspro 400 film.

Attachments

• 20mmtest_3.jpg
    20mmtest_3.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 131
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.