A $350,000.00 speaker? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th September 2012, 04:10 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twest820 View Post
Being a millionaire often isn't what it's cracked up to be:

More here, but you get the idea; the easiest way to have lots of money is to keep it rather than indulging in high budget audiophoolery.
'The Millionaire Next Door' feels a little dated these days doesn't it? The basic tenet of the book is that millionaires become wealthy by saving and investing. But in 2012 that's an uphill battle. There aren't many assets which pay more than 3% interest, and the stock market has basically been flat for the last twelve years.

Most of the millionaires I've met became rich nearly by accident; a lot of them got rich off of stock options. They basically woke up one day and found that their stock had gone from zero to a million overnight.
Old 4th September 2012, 04:19 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

The blog of the vendor selling the speakers has a neat looking HTPC case that's affordable:

Newegg.com - Fractal Design Define Mini Black Micro ATX Silent PC Computer Case w/ USB 3.0 support and 2 x 120mm Fractal Design Silent Fans

Click the image to open in full size.

Nice looking. Seems like 90% of the cases I see at Fry's are designed to draw as much attention to them as possible, which is really obnoxious if you have your PC in the living room.
Old 16th September 2012, 04:52 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
'The Millionaire Next Door' feels a little dated these days doesn't it?
I think it's a matter of perspective. Secular bears arguably want different investment techniques than secular bulls---see here for an intro and look back through the older essays on bulls, bears, and long valuation waves if you're curious about patterns and indicators---but I would say the basics don't change. It still comes down to ensuring one's income exceeds one's outgo, preserving capital, and making informed assessments of risk/return tradeoffs. Not that I'd mind a million dollar stock option windfall if one came my way...
Old 16th September 2012, 05:03 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

twest,
Sounds like one of my econ classes......Cost, return. investments and equity..... substitution, and just plain greed......
Old 16th September 2012, 05:38 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Yup. I would wager most asset classes do better than high budget speakers, though.
Old 16th September 2012, 06:04 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Not much return on investment on a $350,000 loudspeaker, not unless it has lots of gold platting. If something was a work of art that may be something, but a box doesn't meet that standard by far.

Hide this!Advertise here!