A $350,000.00 speaker? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd September 2012, 05:42 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek View Post
It makes you wonder how people that stupid made that much money. I wonder what Berwin's basement horns cost?
I've met a few millionaires, and I never noticed any strong correlation between IQ and wealth. Not saying that rich people are stupid - simply that they aren't genetically much different than the other 99%

One thing I *have* noticed about millionaires is that they often pride themselves on having the best. Due to this, I've seen millionaires purchase items based solely on price, using the logic that if it costs more it must be better.

For a loudspeaker vendor, this can be a powerful tactic. Instead of selling a hundred speakers with a 50% markup, it may be easier and more profitable to sell ten speakers at a 10,000% markup.
Old 2nd September 2012, 06:18 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

It would seem so ludicrous if we all couldn't identify the drivers as a common device or the enclosure was anything but a simple box. Personally if I was an eccentric millionaire I would at least want something that was a one off in the design in the least and had some hand made devices that were unobtainable by any means from any other manufacturer. So what should I charge for a pair of speakers that are made from two 500 pound pieces of solid granite machined as one piece for the main body? I often wonder about that, just go for the sky and hope for the best, or have some intrinsic value that can be justified by the design and production cost. I do have those solid blocks just haven't finished all my devices yet. Any takers...........

Last edited by Pano; 2nd September 2012 at 06:59 PM. Reason: fixed formatting
Old 2nd September 2012, 06:28 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Here in the UK 6 or 8 of the ten richest people belong to the nobility, the richest being the Duke of Westminster.
Their ancestors, like all nobility, got rich by running what was essentially a protection racket.

One of the richest families in Germany, the Krupps / von Bohlens, got their loot by supplying big guns to various german kings for over 400 years.
Old 2nd September 2012, 06:51 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

CHARLES,
got any of their phone numbers in your little black book...........Just kidding. Yes the rich have always had a set of families that preserve not only their wealth, but also their power. How about De Beers and all the diamonds in warehouses keeping the prices artificially high. The meeting every year of the wealthiest people in the world is not to get together to have a few beers and shot pool. They do manipulate the worlds powers, and no I am not a conspiracy theorist.....
Old 2nd September 2012, 08:09 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Simple solution: Inheritance tax for everything worth more than 1 million should be not just 100 but 105%.

Things are actually worse in the US as you have the lowest social mobility of any industrialized country. Italy and the UK make up the 'top' 3 AFAIK.

PS: I'm worried we might get close to politics now so I'll shut up.
Old 2nd September 2012, 09:09 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Someone posted a picture a few years back of a guy who had the entire area under his patio shaped into two huge horns. Maybe 30 feet long each. The enclosure was easily able to house a very large sedan. Too bad most of us never get to see or hear the final outcome when unlimited cash meets outrageous ideas.
The blind listening test is still the most useful way to screen out the obsurd. Though most will not enter such a test. Go figure. I will continue to live on my meager income and build what is most practical for me.
Oh to be rich.

Tad
Old 2nd September 2012, 09:20 PM   #17
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Darwin View Post
I'm worried we might get close to politics now so I'll shut up.
Smart move. Let's keep it to audio, everyone.
Old 2nd September 2012, 09:21 PM   #18
jlsem is offline jlsem  United States
diyAudio Member

Is there any data that backs your notion that trust fund babies are the primary consumers of high end audio or are you just combining one group of people you don't like with another likewise and making them one?

The reason I ask this is that every rich guy I know who owns high end gear is self made.

John
Old 2nd September 2012, 09:57 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I have actually been in the houses of quite a few millionaires ( Chefs get to do LOTS of house visits ) and in the main I found they used systems we would consider mediocre, average at best, one of the reasons they are still rich I suppose.
Old 2nd September 2012, 10:04 PM   #20
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

who are impressed by a fancy stereo anyway
and if you are not interested in music, who would waste their money on a silly stereo
the only comment would probably be, only two speakers ? and where is the TV ?

Hide this!Advertise here!