Neil Armstrong, an icon of our times

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was still two years away from breathing when Neil Armstrong walked upon the moon. But it still resonates with me. He was part of something that mankind achieved that is still enormous today.

My grandmother bought a brand new 25" color TV to watch the moon landing. That TV working until the mid 1980's just fine.

Neil is a few years older than my mother, but was from the town of Wapakoneta, Ohio, around 10-15 miles south of my mothers hometown of Lima, OH. If you get the chance, there is a museum in Wapakoneta dedicated to Neil Armstrong and space travel. Neat place.

Rest in Peace Mr. Armstrong

Dave Gerecke

I can remember watching the moon landing in junior high school. Memorable.

I think his humility in the many years after was most impressive. It would have been easy to adopt a monsterous ego and sell out his fame, but he remained down-to-earth and lived a life of integrity.

Dave.

Armstrong was one of the coolest under pressure pilots that ever flew. Back in the days when testing out the prototype of the Lunar Module he was doing a test flight in the morning, had to hit the eject button, with maybe 12 seconds to spare, the module crashed, his parachute opened gliding him down to earth. Everyone had their heart in their throat and there was Neil back in time for lunch barely breaking a sweat. Talk about cool under pressure! Right then and there I think everyone knew he'd be to go to guy for the first moon landing. RIP Neil, your giant step lives on!

"Tranquility Base...the Eagle has landed" with only 20 seconds of fuel remaining. We sat electrified to think that the first one of us had made it from Earth to another world. In 1,000 years this accomplishment will be one of the very few things from our lifetime that people will still remember. RIP Neil Armstrong...a better man to take the great leap could not have been found among us!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.