diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   The Lounge (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/lounge/)
-   -   Thoughts about retirement... (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/lounge/218491-thoughts-about-retirement.html)

M Gregg 25th August 2012 08:53 AM

Thoughts about retirement...

Just an interest,

How old do you want to be when you retire?

Any thoughts about jacking in and getting the "Good Life" or is it looking a bit doggy..

Any pitfalls from those that already have...

Thought it might be fun to see what the thoughts are..:eek: or :cloud9:

Victor meldrew always comes to mind....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1qs_...eature=related

Regards
M. Gregg

ryanj 25th August 2012 09:20 AM

Haha, i enjoyed that scene.

Sorry i haven't any firsthand advice although my old man tried to retire a couple of years back and he ended up getting bored and going back to work!

But having said that, if you have a hobby that is as involving as diy audio then you should be able to keep your self more than busy. Or at least stay busy enough not to have feuds with Mrs Gregg!

Ok, time to crack another one open, good luck buddy.

DF96 25th August 2012 09:42 AM

I always planned to go part-time from 60, and then see how things go and gradually wind down. Instead I was made redundant in mid-50s and then found it almost impossible to even get interviewed. So no retirement party or gold watch. As I had only been in my last job for just over a year I didn't even get statutory redundancy pay.

Once I got used to the idea that I probably would not work again I loved it! One important thing though: unlike many men I did not identify myself with my chosen career. I had already done that earlier in life, but was now past that. If your job is part of your identity then retirement can be painful. Second important thing is to have enough money, and know what to do with it.

AJT 25th August 2012 10:13 AM

i am 59 and my family does not allow me to work overseas any-more....all my kids have graduated from college and are now earning their own money.....:D i have some money tucked away in a bank and by next year retirement pay checks will start coming in so hopefully that will be enough for me and the misus till we reach the finish line....

so now i am enjoying building tubes amps from the tubes that i accumulated from years of working overseas....i do not foresee a career out of this, just clean fun....if money comes, that will just be to roll over so that i can continue enjoying my hobby...:D

SY 25th August 2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M Gregg (Post 3139153)

How old do you want to be when you retire?

35. Didn't quite work out that way.

woodturner-fran 25th August 2012 11:36 AM

I'm aiming for 60 - and have 20 to go!! Plans are in place to make that happen - although the recent economic crap laughs at such plans.....

Fran

CopperTop 25th August 2012 11:45 AM

Of course we've all lived through an economic super-bubble. Pensions, investements, property prices all based on fantasy valuations...

Did you really think it would be that easy?!

M Gregg 25th August 2012 12:26 PM

Well,

UK are moving the official age to 70:eek:

Its 66 at the moment...so thats out of the question. Women wanted equality so they got it and theirs is 66 now as well and it used to be 60.

I'll never forget a guy at work who said 12 months and I'm retired at the official date of 65...so he got to 65 and died 3 months later...it was a real shame a real nice guy..and he was so looking forward to it.

So I guess we have to try and set our own..every time you try to make plans they are washed away...even several back up plans get washed away..

So I guess we have to make a boat:confused:
Well who wants to be 20 with the end age 70-75 ..eek... well they recon we are going to live for ever but they don't mention how healthy we will be..

Victor Meldrew in the first post had his retirement forced upon him early.. :D

Regards
M. Gregg

woodturner-fran 25th August 2012 03:07 PM

Copper top: I'm not looking for it to be "easy"!

Mgregg - like you, I've seen a few guys from my work place go the same way. One of my motivations!

dirkwright 25th August 2012 03:26 PM

I'm 52 with 30 years at the same place in already. I can in theory retire at 55, but divorce and other things will probably push it back to at least 60. I just hope it's there when I'm ready.