Thoughts about retirement... - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th August 2012, 04:24 AM   #61
diyAudio Member

Most of us keep saying " till I die !"
Since we are all into exploring and experimenting with known and not fully known parameters we should all stop using the word 'die' !

Since ancient wisdom ( globally ) always talked about life being a continuous and never ending thing and existing "somewhere" , we should say " till we transform " ( or use some other word)! "Die" kind of sounds negative !
We will transform into something , now believed to be a non physical existence with an 'energy' form . True or not is hard to say inspite of all the results of modern scientific experimentation we can read about.

But I do believe we do go on and I also believe it will be in tune with how we have developed our minds . Good guys have a good time and unpleasant guys have an unpleasant time. It's up to us !

Does it matter ?
Just " Take care of today ( pleasantly!) and tomorrow takes care of itself.....even from an infinite point of view !

Last edited by ashok; 30th August 2012 at 04:33 AM.
Old 30th August 2012, 04:40 AM   #62
diyAudio Member

Very nice thought, I'd like it too be true but don't think it is.
Old 30th August 2012, 04:51 AM   #63
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Its possible to change your opinion about it though - believe what you enjoy believing seeing as belief is ultimately irrelevant.
Old 30th August 2012, 08:10 AM   #64
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
....... believe what you enjoy believing seeing as belief is ultimately irrelevant.......
Cool. Very nice way to put it.

By the way the words that I was looking for instead of 'to die' is " to cross over " ! Nice way to describe it.
Old 30th August 2012, 03:26 PM   #65
diyAudio Member

yagoolar, I am no where near of giving up. When I was 59 I took a long look at my finances and determined that If I took out an extra $1000 a month out of my retirement savings I could do a lot of stuff right now while my health was good. I have seen too many people save and save and end up in a nursing home at 70 or worse. The plan looked good on paper and I would run out of cash around 85. Satistically I would live to 80. So I would have 5 years surplus of cash. Now the odds of me running out of money are a lot less.

I have been doing tons of reading and the most usefull if depressing information is in medical journals. Most of the stuff on the internet is misleading or downright lies.

Supplements work well when a person's diet and general health is poor. If a person's diet and general health is fine, supplements have very little benifit or can cause more problems. When I come across anything interesting I run it by my nephew who is a cancer reseacher. He either says it is pure bs or won't do anything for me. My oncologist had me stop taking daily low dose asprin and vitimin C as they can cause kidney problems on my remaining kidney. Kidney cancer in general is resistant to chemo therapy and radition therapy. The subtype of kiney cancer that I have is even more resistant to chemo and radition but the good news it is more survivable.

Time to go listen to my new preamp some more. Vacuming and dirty dishes can wait.
Old 30th August 2012, 05:14 PM   #66
Jozua is offline Jozua  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
I had mine one month short of my 46th birthday and the little stinker can beat me at chess every time, so there's hope.
Gents, in my experience the older you are when producing ofspring the better the quality of children produced. Of course a young wife helps and so what if you not always on top !

So dont be discouraged by age !

Regards

Jozua
Old 30th August 2012, 07:36 PM   #67
diyAudio Member

Regarding late-baby-having: I'm not terribly worried. However, as I encounter birth defects and other disabilities on a daily basis, I'm aware and concerned. I hope my swimmers are as healthy and youthful as I appear to be. And I've got the young wife, so there's that!
Old 30th August 2012, 08:50 PM   #68
diyAudio Member

There's new research that shows it's all about the man's age and not the woman's.
Old 30th August 2012, 09:06 PM   #69
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Interesting subject - retirement: here's one way to do it -- work for the state or federal government. Work 20 years and at 50 retire from it. Then start getting the retirement pay. next go to work for private company and retire at 66 with SSecurity to add to the pot. While working, get royalties if you can and bank it in dividend paying stocks..stocks that arent going away -- like utilities.. stable stuff. At 66 you will have two retirement incomes plus social security and dividends.
BUT -
You have to have a home paid off by retirement or you cant retire. Making monthly house payments on retirement income wont work for most people. [After working all your life, bordom is the first thing that hit me when i got off the merry-go-round of the working life. So I slowly started finding new fun things to do.] - Richard Marsh
Old 30th August 2012, 09:19 PM   #70
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
After working all your life, bordom is the first thing that hit me when i got off the merry-go-round of the working life. So I slowly started finding new fun things to do.
By the time you've been working for a decade or two, you forget what it's like to be bored, so you stay permanently resentful, envying teachers and their 12 weeks a year holidays, or those who manage to engineer retirement at 50. (Well I do anyway!)

I think everyone should be given a 6 month break every five years so they can be reminded just what it is to be bored, and maybe actually crave going back to work.

Hide this!Advertise here!