Thoughts about retirement... - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th August 2012, 08:54 PM   #51
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to yagoolar Send a message via Skype™ to yagoolar
Multisync,

You have not given up, have you? Vitamin B17 and Gerson therapy are promising ones.
Old 29th August 2012, 09:23 PM   #52
diyAudio Member

Retirement is something I'm just starting to think about. I'm 42 now, and in the last 6 months I feel like I'm waking up to the reality of mortality. Thoughts like "work to live" and "if you are not doing what you want with your time, then move on" (probably misquoted) are feeling truer than ever, though I feel somewhat trapped in a decent job with great benefits. And actually if I wasn't married and carrying benefits for my wife and possible-future-child then I'd probably have moved on already. There's tension here between wanting to provide and wanting to live an example of someone living life to the fullest. I feel changes are coming but I'm not certain from which direction.

My father, now 85, still works 4 days a week at a business that he owns. He had about a year and a half of unemployment back in the 80's that seemed to drive him nuts. I imagine that he will work until he dies. He drives an hour each way, so hopefully it won't happen on the highway. At some point 10 or 15 years ago, he said to me "all I really want is to be on a little boat in a lake, fishing". Yet he won't allow himself this pleasure. Interestingly enough, I've never known him to fish.

I hope that I will do work until I die, as I get enjoyment from productivity. I really don't aspire to retire so much as to alleviate the stress of financial concerns, and to love what I do. I've found many interests fulfilling, and am open to getting better at obtaining and managing money.
Old 29th August 2012, 09:27 PM   #53
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagoolar View Post
Multisync,

You have not given up, have you? Vitamin B17 and Gerson therapy are promising ones.
Coffee enemas! Let's hear it for latte butts! hahahahaha!!! Still have not tried that, though I did buy a juicer (and use it).
Old 29th August 2012, 09:28 PM   #54
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by multisync View Post
my old man drank booze like it was cheaper than water, smoked 2 packs a day of unfiltered smokes, ate only meat and potatoes, his only exercise was walking 2 doors down to the corner store to buy more beer and he croaked at 78.
William S. Burroughs lived to 77, that one still amazes me.
Old 29th August 2012, 09:30 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brilliantblue View Post
And actually if I wasn't married and carrying benefits for my wife and possible-future-child then I'd probably have moved on already.
Whoa. You're 42 and have not had children yet? I think that boat has left the dock my friend. There was a recent study that showed that as men age, their chances of producing children with serious birth defects (Downs, etc.) goes way up. It seems that your swimmers age also... and get tired... and deformed...

So, if you're serious about having kids, consider adopting, and working for them instead of you.
Old 29th August 2012, 09:36 PM   #56
diyAudio Member

Sucking down massive doses of vitamins, water, coffee or most anything else in an effort to "flush the toxins" is not recommended as a rational treatment regimen... and often exacerbates the underlying problem(s) or creates new ones...

... kinda analogous to spending thousands on speaker cables, eh...
Old 29th August 2012, 09:41 PM   #57
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
77, that one still amazes me.
+6, remember to chew your heroin.

Maybe if Hemingway had done some drugs and unstraight sex, he wouldn't have shot himself (nice fishing boat though)
Old 29th August 2012, 09:49 PM   #58
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by auplater View Post
Sucking down massive doses of vitamins, water, coffee or most anything else in an effort to "flush the toxins" is not recommended as a rational treatment regimen... and often exacerbates the underlying problem(s) or creates new ones...

... kinda analogous to spending thousands on speaker cables, eh...
If we're talking about Gerson, well, they say that the coffee enemas help the liver deal with the toxins released by the large consumption of various fresh fruit and vegetable juices. The two go hand in hand, so to speak. Dr. Gerson did some research that showed that coffee enemas have a very different effect than drinking the stuff. Anyway, it's all in their literature.

But, taking large doses of anything can certainly be bad for you, even if it's vitamin C.
Old 29th August 2012, 10:45 PM   #59
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkwright View Post
Whoa. You're 42 and have not had children yet? I think that boat has left the dock my friend.
I had mine one month short of my 46th birthday and the little stinker can beat me at chess every time, so there's hope.
Old 30th August 2012, 12:29 AM   #60
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
I had mine one month short of my 46th birthday and the little stinker can beat me at chess every time, so there's hope.
Of course.

Hide this!Advertise here!