Thoughts about retirement... - Page 17 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th September 2012, 02:46 PM   #161
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek View Post
No quarter target, dead meat.
Sad but true...

Quote:
Companies have 3 month plans, not 20 year plans.
They will not admit that, and talk all about strategy and other stuff, but hey quarterly results do dictate a lot of the "strategy" actually. Sometimes it sounds like that they have the right idea in the long run, but execution is pretty much crap - quarterly plans and targets being one of the reasons (among others) contributing to this.

Also worrying is that with leadership focused on bringing so many short term (quarterly) results, will they lose the art of truly strategic thinking in the future?

Quote:
Another theory is we are too rich. We can afford to replace things, so we have no incentive to buy quality.
Yep, just keep on changing, keep the cash registers ringing as you pile up more low quality stuff, and keep on talking about being environmentally friendly!

Quote:
I would suggest quality problems are now driven by the consumer shopping for only by price, accepting "durable goods" to be disposable, and by the quarterly report. It prevents investment for the long run.
Very good summary TVRGeek - can we add a bit of consumer brand infatuation to that?
Old 7th September 2012, 02:54 PM   #162
diyAudio Member

Well, plans do change. I'd really like to have a small concrete house in the Bahamas or Virgin Islands, sit there in the warm February evenings sipping rum and enjoying life, but nooooo, we're starting a private school! Now I have to work until I drop to help finance this new venture. It's really important to us, so I'm not really complaining, but you know, sometimes it's just nice to think about what I'd be doing otherwise.
Old 7th September 2012, 03:07 PM   #163
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Sometimes it sounds like that they have the right idea in the long run, but execution is pretty much crap - quarterly plans and targets being one of the reasons (among others) contributing to this.
at my previous employer, they kept talking about these strategy changes that they were planning to implement. the idea was really nice but for a whole year until I left them they only talked about it, nothing got actually implemented. and I do mean absolutely nothing. I keep in touch with my ex colleagues and one year and a half after I left the situation remains unchanged.

it's not that they didn't want to implement those strategies but short term deadlines were always tight and they kept getting new customers. the workload kept continually increasing. so no-one actually ever found the time for paradigm shifts in the middle of a project, when customers started to worry about the decreasing quality of the deliveries and reoccurring delays. it's a vicious circle that's difficult to escape from and some are unable to see it coming.

sometimes the best you can hope for is being able to learn from your mistakes.

Last edited by mr_push_pull; 7th September 2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 7th September 2012, 06:30 PM   #164
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkwright View Post
I'd really like to have a small concrete house in the Bahamas or Virgin Islands, sit there in the warm February evenings sipping rum and enjoying life
Imagine you enjoy high speed sportfishing and you could get marine gas oil for 18 cents the gallon at 50 miles distance (Venezuela)

This time a week ago me landed on Curacao, Dutch Antilles.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...uracao-nsj.jpg

MGO currently does $7.35/gal in the Netherlands.

Last edited by jacco vermeulen; 7th September 2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 7th September 2012, 07:07 PM   #165
diyAudio Member

Great thread.

Just turned 30, already a grumpy fart looking for an argument (as long as I have a reasonable chance to win).

The thing about saving up was a great reminder, I've been looking for what to do after my BSU (Savings system with tax reduction for young people wanting to buy a place to live 20% and 20000NOK/year) max out next year or so, I had totally forgot about the tax reduction (28%) from pension saving (max 15000NOK/Year).

I am grumpy about the management system we use at work, meetings all the f***in time and forms and applications and spreadsheets needing filling constanly, there's so much control and bureucracy nothing gets done!
Old 7th September 2012, 07:24 PM   #166
AuroraB is offline AuroraB  Norway
diyAudio Member

Management system? Runs on a Billybox and shares points???
Old 8th September 2012, 08:09 AM   #167
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraB View Post
Management system? Runs on a Billybox and shares points???
Sounds familiar, both the Billybox and the shares points.....
It's all very fictional, and I've been observing the shares value over long periods of time, it always drops back down again it seems. I tried simulating a investment in the shares over various parts of a 15 year period, I usually end up loosing about 0,4%. A rollercoaster is what it is, fun for the few visiting once or twice, but a nightmare to maintain. Not that i work with rollercoasters, but I can imagine it being comparable.

Last edited by KaffiMann; 8th September 2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old 8th September 2012, 09:07 AM   #168
BudP is offline BudP  United States
diyAudio Member

Only thing I have found to work is to invest in shares of market dominators. Coca Cola, Sisco, Wall Mart, Hershey, Phillip Morris, Mc Donalds, Microsoft etc. Their shares generally do go up 7 to 12% per year, but that is not why I invested in them. They gush cash. Means they buy back shares, which is why yours will increase in value no matter the economy, and they provide increasing dividends. You take the dividends and reinvest them in the stock. Called DRIP, but you have to tell your broker you want that, doesn't cost any extra. This compounds your stock value, but compounding takes at least 20 years to really get rolling. So, you buy the stock and forget about it.

I will second the motion about other stock market schemes. I lost half of my retirement to the 2001 through 2008 kleptocracy. Had it in a number of "Growth" stocks. They tanked before I got smart enough to buy gold. Not complaining, my stupidity.

Forget about buying real estate, unless you intend to rent it out. But that's a career for a younger man than I am. Purchase a place to live in that you aren't going to want to flip for profit. Purchase it because you intend to spend 20 years there and keep it up. Then you probably will profit from selling it.

Bud
Old 8th September 2012, 09:35 AM   #169
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Self-serving (vaguely) plug: ITW.
Old 12th September 2012, 10:25 AM   #170
diyAudio Member

The real estate market here in Norway is on fire these days. If I calculate with the worst numbers, the value of my small 45 square meter apartment has increased about 300000NOK (over 52000USD) since I moved in January 2010.

I really want to get a house further away from the city, and use the gains on that, but those are flying through the roof as well.

Hide this!Advertise here!