Thoughts about retirement... - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th September 2012, 12:01 AM   #121
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suntechnik View Post
Well I agreed with AuroraB.

I talked once to guy who worked on an assembly line at a car factory. I would like retire from a such job from day one probably.

Hopefully with all that modern micro-controllers, expert systems and other automation achievements western industries getting to the point when physical human labor would be eliminated. Robotized assemble lines deliver more consistent and better quality moreover.

I see another issue however. Being an educated pro means learning much more complex stuff further and further. So eventually we are getting to the point when person achieves necessary skills that let him start work productively at 35 only.

Or maybe modern youngsters getting more advanced and could learn faster then we were able in the past.
The problem with such a system is that a large segment of the population are not educated pros.

I have serious doubts that anyone on this forum has an IQ less than 100.

But, by definition half of the population does.

The jobs that have by and large been exported and eliminated by automation have been the very menial jobs that were filled by that segment of the population.

Which is better, putting bolt 'A' into hole 'B' of widget 'C' 40 hours a week, or flipping burgers at a burger joint?
Old 5th September 2012, 02:53 AM   #122
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGimp View Post
The problem with such a system is that a large segment of the population are not educated pros.

I have serious doubts that anyone on this forum has an IQ less than 100.

But, by definition half of the population does.

The jobs that have by and large been exported and eliminated by automation have been the very menial jobs that were filled by that segment of the population.

Which is better, putting bolt 'A' into hole 'B' of widget 'C' 40 hours a week, or flipping burgers at a burger joint?
It's always nice to have someone tell me I must have a menial education and perhaps IQ since my career was largely moved offshore. I was a very devoted electronic engineering technician for most of 20 years, and a hardcore audio engineering hobbyist since I was in grade school. Within 2 years of graduating college, I was assisting some of the best engineers in the digital video engineering community internationally at Tektronix. Later on I was assisting 4-5 top engineers in cinema products engineering at Dolby Labs. After the 3rd layoff, and knowing what trends were going to win, I went back to college and got a Paralegal degree, only to find out that there were 300 experienced Paralegals here in Portland OR who can't find work. I had no experience in law. I could never even find an internship, where I would be working for free. Now I design and build high end guitar amps and hi-fi speakers and signal processors as a hobby. I'd start a business around that if the government hadn't created this competition with offshore labor rates thing. Reagan opened the borders for free trade in 1982 without leveling the playfield, and I've been watching layoffs in the thousands on a regular basis ever since. Now I'm 57. Who is going to hire me at that age? So I guess I'm just a loser who deserves what I got. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 5th September 2012, 03:04 AM   #123
diyAudio Member

I don't know about the rest of the world but here in Australia having a high IQ is a not an asset. high moral and ethical standards are also an impediment; most employers want "YES" men who will simply do as they are told when they are told, even if the order is illegal or immoral.
When I think seriously about it all of my hippie mates who "opted out" in the 70s and early 80s made the right choice
Old 5th September 2012, 06:49 AM   #124
M Gregg is offline M Gregg  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I think,

In most companies just want yes men...The bottom line is they are making money and so everything else is of less interest.

An example of why some want to get out (retire).

This does go against the grain with moral people and they can have a stressful time trying to do a good job and please the employer who isn't interested in the fact that you may be putting people at risk, because its you that will get the come back if something goes wrong..(This could even be a jail term for breaking legislation) Money rules in any company..its quite sad..

Eg don't teach that we haven't got time..but its the required isolation system and they don't know it.." Just do as your told or meet me in the office".

Regards
M. Gregg
Old 5th September 2012, 07:05 AM   #125
diyAudio Member

Aren't moral and ethical standards "impediments", by definition?
Old 5th September 2012, 07:28 AM   #126
diyAudio Member

Like the retirement village I used to work for that wanted me to feed the residents stuff most people would consider dog food and objecting to that got me fired ( and blacklisted as well)
Old 5th September 2012, 11:36 AM   #127
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog55 View Post
When I think seriously about it all of my hippie mates who "opted out" in the 70s and early 80s made the right choice
Eeeh, the ones I've met back then made their money travelling across Oz, shearing sheep and working chicken farms, bagging birds at night and getting paid by the feather, not the hour.
Old 5th September 2012, 05:07 PM   #128
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacco vermeulen View Post
Eeeh, the ones I've met back then made their money travelling across Oz, shearing sheep and working chicken farms, bagging birds at night and getting paid by the feather, not the hour.
let me put it this way.
I have an audio system that most people would not afford here where I live. yes it does sound nice but it's far from what I'd choose if money wasn't a problem.

can you be sure that I'm happier (or use whatever word you want for this) than the guy listening through a boombox?

all I can say for now is that I've many times wondered if it's worth it. do I have a definite answer? no. but somehow the biggest enjoyment I've ever received from music has been at the time I was listening to a much cheaper system which sounded worse by all standards than the one I'm using now.
Old 6th September 2012, 12:24 PM   #129
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
So at what age you think you will retire ? (with or without a Punto and boombox)

Me IQ of 100 (or less), worked at various assembly lines.
Old 6th September 2012, 12:31 PM   #130
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
Quote:
So at what age you think you will retire ? (with or without a Punto and boombox)
I have no idea. don't have the answers, maybe I never will.

Quote:
Me IQ of 100 (or less), worked at various assembly lines.
even if it were so classic IQ tests don't tell a thing, best case they tell how good is one at math. I've never done a test myself but I guess I'm mediocre at best.

Hide this!Advertise here!