Cooments on the demise of Dick Smith and Tandy in OZ - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd July 2012, 11:42 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Cooments on the demise of Dick Smith and Tandy in OZ

Well as predicted by us all many years ago when Woolworths bought out the chains, it has happened.
Most of us predicted that the Woolworths business model was developed on a false premise.
Selling mobile phones and boom-boxes and ignoring the DIY and component market was a mistake.
They really should have listened to us and split the stores into two business lines, phones and boom-boxes at DS and components and parts at Tandy, but what would we know? After all we were just the customers.
RS prices have started to go up dramatically now I suppose
Old 23rd July 2012, 12:03 AM   #2
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

I wouldn't be so pessimistic, Jaycar is chugging along nicely, and there's also Altronics. Both are actively seeking to expand, I feel the suburban level DIY store is a long way from being an extinct species ...

And what about WES Components?

Frank

Last edited by fas42; 23rd July 2012 at 12:05 AM.
Old 23rd July 2012, 12:15 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

heck Jaycar sell almost as much junk as DS, I guess junk is where almost all of the profit is.
WES is wholesale and technically my ABN does not cover that line of product.

Not been happy with Jaycars line-up of speaker drivers, except for the current 8inch woofer and there is nothing I can't buy in cheaper from the USA or other places.

thankfully there is Speakerbug for reasonably priced passive components, the current price of copper doesn't justify Jaycars prices
Old 23rd July 2012, 12:52 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Their lack of choice is making it too easy for us to buy stuff from overseas, and at cheaper prices. Not just electronics either, I can get good guitar strings at ~ $7/set counting in the freight, they're 3 times the price here.

Re: 'the current 8inch woofer ', - you mean this one?:
8" Paper Cone Woofer - Jaycar Electronics
I have 4 of them, and they're a bit high distortion for me for HiFi, I think they're best used as a car sub, crossed over low, & in an isobaric pair the cab's a reasonable size. If you like them, they're yours, for free, PM me.
Old 23rd July 2012, 01:18 AM   #5
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog55 View Post
WES is wholesale and technically my ABN does not cover that line of product.

Not been happy with Jaycars line-up of speaker drivers, except for the current 8inch woofer and there is nothing I can't buy in cheaper from the USA or other places.

thankfully there is Speakerbug for reasonably priced passive components, the current price of copper doesn't justify Jaycars prices
Again, I don't see what the problem with WES is: I have no problems purchasing there at good trade prices. Plus, they have Peerless, Vifa, Scan-Speak, Dai-1chi, etc drivers; should be enough for most people ...

Frank
Old 23rd July 2012, 01:21 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Definitely not a "HiFi" woofer mid, but great for the "DoofDoof"

I now buy most of my components from other places, but it was handy being only 10 minutes from a store.
I think a lot of the problems are the overpricing of commercial retail space and the corresponding ridiculous rents ( I can't afford to even think about opening a cafe for instance, that's why a cup of coffee cost $4- instead of the $1.80 it should sell for )
Old 23rd July 2012, 02:40 AM   #7
just another
diyAudio Moderator

No surprises at all. Buy a successful business and then throw away the thing that made it successful in the first place. Yeah that's really going to work

Tony.
Old 30th July 2012, 09:23 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

How about Etco?

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/8/...s/EtcoQuad.pdf
Old 4th August 2012, 07:27 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7n7is View Post
Hell of a long way to swim too buy a cap. LOL

Hide this!Advertise here!