Galactic Year Simulation - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th July 2012, 10:01 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Galactic Year Simulation

My friend and I performed a few calculations based on the galactic year that are interesting.

Based on the galactic year, (the time it takes our sun to orbit the galaxy once), 225 million years, we came up with the following data.

Imagine a model of our Sun, with the Earth orbiting it at 22,500 RPM. Pretty fast. Based on this assumption, it would take one week, 168 hours, for the Sun to complete its journey around the galaxy.

Remember, the Earth is orbiting the Sun at 22,500 RPM this entire time.

We broke it down a little further. To simulate a 50 year span of time with this model, the Sun only moves on it's one week path for 134 milliseconds.

I have way too much time on my hands, or maybe not enough.
Old 14th July 2012, 11:37 PM   #2
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

134 milliseconds, perhaps?

Put another way, human existence dates back about 8 galactic days. That's not too shabby.
Old 30th July 2012, 11:29 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I fell our sun or any other star dont orbit this galaxy(a too large and populated area), but there is no way to know it, unless wait zillions of years to know to calc the route.
Old 31st July 2012, 12:00 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

How about another "monkey wrench in the works", to state the vernacular. We (the Earth) don't orbit around the sun in an ellipse at all. Since the Sun is orbiting the galaxy, our orbit is actually a spiral.
Old 31st July 2012, 12:37 AM   #5
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott17 View Post
How about another "monkey wrench in the works", to state the vernacular. We (the Earth) don't orbit around the sun in an ellipse at all. Since the Sun is orbiting the galaxy, our orbit is actually a spiral.
With respect to one set of coordinates based on the center of the Milky Way, yes. But the galaxies move, space expands, and if you take a different set of coordinates (say, from the center of ULAS J1120+0641), you get a different shape.
Old 20th October 2012, 01:21 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

What shape would that be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
With respect to one set of coordinates based on the center of the Milky Way, yes. But the galaxies move, space expands, and if you take a different set of coordinates (say, from the center of ULAS J1120+0641), you get a different shape.
Old 20th October 2012, 08:37 AM   #7
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullRangeMan View Post
I fell our sun or any other star dont orbit this galaxy(a too large and populated area), but there is no way to know it, unless wait zillions of years to know to calc the route.
Fortunately, we understand the basics of motion and gravity. Some guy named Newton helped us with that. So we don't need to wait a few zillion years to see if we moved. Aristotle was good at understanding only by reason. We can do a little better 2400 years later.

We are also fortunate not to have to wait zillions of years as our universe is only 13.75 billion years old unless you believe in the literal interpretation of various scriptures. Then it is a bit younger.
Old 20th October 2012, 09:45 AM   #8
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott17 View Post
What shape would that be?
A very distorted spiral-ish shape, like a Slinky that's been yanked hard, then run over by a truck.

Hide this!Advertise here!