Who gets what you leave behind? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th July 2012, 04:39 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Who gets what you leave behind?

Have you guys ever wondered what to do with your 'stuff' after your time ?
Nowadays I see so many people crossing over to the other side at a very early age ( obituaries column in the paper) that I wonder how long my world will last as I am well past their average age !
Anyway , what to do with the 'stuff' is going to be an issue at some point of time. For a person crossing over to the other side it really doesn't matter as he/she will never require any of it again.
Many of us would have quite a lot of drivers and components, active and passive . I can't give any of it away now as I have several plans to make use of them. But inevitably a lot of it will end up being unused on D day.

What does one do to ensure that it ends up with people who will really make use of them. That way the effort of having got them will not be wasted as they will get used, at least by someone else.
Old 11th July 2012, 04:50 AM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I think about this from time to time, but so far have no good answers.. My wife at least is aware of what the stuff is worth should something happen to me..
Old 11th July 2012, 04:57 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

MAYbe some of it can be put up for sale on diyaudio.com at attractive prices ( the owner won't need money anymore!) and proceeds goes to diyaudio.com to fund it's expenses ? The owner will have to leave instructions to someone to enable this to happen. The money generated and used as 'donation' would have come from the owner of the items and should be 'acknowledged' and maybe he/she could 'oversee' the operation from the other dimension. An 'acknowledgment' would be nice !
Old 11th July 2012, 05:07 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

If I leave it to my family, they will sell or dump all of it with the garbage man !
They wouldn't really need the money and wouldn't want to take the trouble sifting through all the stuff which they wouldn't know anything about.
It's a great pity that no one in the younger generation in the family has an interest in 'making' things ! They just buy gizmo's and chuck them when they stop working !

Could diyaudio.com have a 'virtual garbage dump' where people who want to give away stuff for free or a small consideration and shipping fees put up their list of things ? Some stuff really wouldn't be used and it could be cleared off now. Never know it might be just something another person wants to experiment with !
Old 12th July 2012, 01:45 AM   #5
popilin is offline popilin  Argentina
diyAudio Member

I used to ask myself the same question, until I understood that I am so poor that my possessions fit in a shoebox.
Old 12th July 2012, 03:13 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Lucky you, you haven't anything to be concerned about !
Old 12th July 2012, 03:26 AM   #7
popilin is offline popilin  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok View Post
Lucky you, you haven't anything to be concerned about !
Right, no richer who has the most, but who needs the least.
Old 12th July 2012, 03:31 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popilin View Post
Right, no richer who has the most, but who needs the least.
Absolutely poifect !
Old 12th July 2012, 08:27 AM   #9
M Gregg is offline M Gregg  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Just my thoughts,

I think I will get to a point when I don't want to build anything or my eyesight will become a problem.

At this point I will get a box and put any spares to existing projects into the box including copies of circuit diagrams and instructions. So if the family want to use my amps they can<<thats why I have decided any tube amps will be auto bias..If others can't just plug in a tube then its going in the bin..

Hopfully it may be a bit of nostalgia for them..
Anything else I would just give away or send it for recycle..This forum at least is a place where something of my input or help (such as it is) may survive and serve someone after I'm gone or decide to move on..

So this forum will at some point be a sort of legacy as people "move on"..
I guess the DIY audio community may become even a smaller niche and so this forum may serve them well..

I think to just leave everything to someone else to do is wrong..Its bad enough with clothes and the aftermath of legal tie ups..

I always find it "moving" (emotional) when I see something like a DIY hand carved animal or toy<<<thinking about what was in the mind of the maker when he built or carved it.

Interestingly I only found out a couple of weeks ago that my wife has three plastic storage boxes one with the name of each of our children on them..each contains a selection of toys from their past right back to baby cot toys..with memories photos and books..there is a sealed letter in each box I don't know the content and I haven't said I know about the boxes..

Regards
M. Gregg
Old 13th July 2012, 03:07 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Sorry , but your wife's grasp of the workings of 'life' appears to be ahead of you !

Maybe she wants your kids to find this after her time and the 'letter' would be like getting it 'from beyond' ! Really great idea !
I can vouch for the fact that finding things related to your childhood days does bring up some incredible feelings ........ AND a letter that will really fire up the 'heart'.

Hmm.......! Maybe you should leave a similar 'treasure with a note' for each one of them ! Needn't be just their old things , I'm sure you can rustle up some alternative ideas .

Hide this!Advertise here!