Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th October 2003, 04:07 AM   #1
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Default For Those Who Believe That They Do Believe In A Fixed Belief System...

From a poll of 900 registered voters in America. Exactly why it is necessary to be registered to vote to answer questions such as these was not explained.

PS: Humor is welcome, please try to keep it civil.
Attached Images
File Type: gif belief systems.gif (14.8 KB, 320 views)
Old 15th October 2003, 06:12 AM   #2
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default Divine wind...

Blimey , no wonder they went into Iraq...
Old 15th October 2003, 06:33 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Perhaps God just left Iraq and they want to put "him" back...
Old 15th October 2003, 12:40 PM   #4
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Do polytheists get more than one vote in the poll?
Old 15th October 2003, 01:01 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Maybe....hehe
Old 15th October 2003, 05:19 PM   #6
Rob M is offline Rob M  United States
diyAudio Member

How could you not "personally believe in the existence" of astrology? Whether you believe its claims or not is another question, but it certainly exists! And I myself know plenty of witches. I think they're goofy, but there's no doubt they exist.
And, every time someone looks up and doesn't recognize what's flying over them, there's a UFO.

It doesn't give me a lot of faith in the skills of the pollsters...
Old 15th October 2003, 08:20 PM   #7
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Well, Rob, I think it is kind of implied that the poll is asking if they think that the claims of astrology are true, that UFO's are indeed spaceships from another planet, (or perhaps from Earth at a different time), and that witches have more supernatural power than, say, your local real estate agent.

A person who does not believe in the supernatural power of witches is unlikely to refer to one who claims these powers as a witch. He might call her a "witch" with quotes, or a "so-called witch", or otherwise do something that clues the listener or reader in to the fact that he does not buy the claims of these people.

By the way, I just selected the name "Kelticwizard" because of my (half) Irish-American heritage and the fact that I am into electronics, which I regard as the real wizardry of this world. I'm not into hocus-pocus at all, though I do respect the right of people to adopt whatever spiritual belief they wish. I thought the idea of a guy with a long pointy hat working on an amp or speaker was a humorous image.
Old 15th October 2003, 08:26 PM   #8
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Personally, I would like to see a poll which tells us how many people believe in all of these things at once. That is, how many people believe in God, Heaven, miracles, angels, Hell, the Devil, ghosts, UFO's, astrology, reincarnation and witches. All of them at the same time.
Old 15th October 2003, 09:15 PM   #9
Rob M is offline Rob M  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kelticwizard
Well, Rob, I think it is kind of implied that ...
Sure. But that kind of sloppiness means that a poll like this can't be interpreted in any meaningful way. Of the 92% of Americans who believe in god, what fraction believe in a personal god who cares what happens to them, and what fraction believe that god exists as a concept made up by primitive societies to explain the unexplainable? This poll is nothing but prejudices dressed up as a bar graph. But, then, I've been spending a lot of time reviewing journal articles lately, so I'm in a skeptical mood.

It would be interesting to find the people who believe in all of these -- I think I might have a business proposition for them.
Old 15th October 2003, 10:32 PM   #10
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Rob:

I don't think the poll is as inaccurate as you say. I cannot imagine many people, when asked if they believe in God, will say "yes" meaning that they believe the concept of God exists.

I think it is highly possible that people who have alternative concepts of God-such as "God is within us" can answer "yes" to that question. I think there are few people indeed who would say, "yes, I believe in Heaven" if they meant that Heaven is a concept useful for other people.

As far as everyone believing everything all at once-well, it does appear contradictory. But there are some people, intelligent ones, who feel that there is some higher power and that all belief systems expose some part of it, but no belief system reveals all of it.

On the other hand, there are others who believe just about any idea that comes down the pike. There are magazines which have mixed Biblical prophecy and UFO's together, apparently without recognizing some inherent contradictions there.

Well, heck, my hat is off to anyone who can make a living in the highly competitive publishing world!

Hide this!Advertise here!