Regional preferences

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How many countries are represented here on diyaudio? Is there a tally of flags somewhere?

I wonder if audio equipment is the same everywhere, or are there regional or cultural preferences?

I know there have been regionally-specific products in the past, especially with speakers. Does this continue?

In some parts of the world where internet use is high, I can see by looking at what's in their shops, but in many places that's hard to do.

What's big in China, Pakistan, Brazil, etc.?

How much difference does climate make? Or culture?

DIY has been falling in popularity here for years. Is that the same everywhere?

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
I wonder if audio equipment is the same everywhere, or are there regional or cultural preferences?

How much difference does climate make? Or culture?

DIY has been falling in popularity here for years. Is that the same everywhere?

Well,

Just listen to the sound of HIFI equipment from China..There is a sonic signature....That includes tubes..

Its not just DIY thats falling...I have links to engineering in some colleges and I can tell you that large physical areas that were used for engineering and electronics have been replaced with other things and its not electronic<<<this was at one point computer orientated and thats gone as well now (even strip and rebuild your own PC networking etc has gone)<<this is indicative of the poplarity of vocations that people are choosing.. I think this is reflective also of the industry in the UK.

How many electronic companies..cottage industrys (HIFI included) are gone?

How many people do you know that build their own kit?
How many do you know that would want to if they could?

Listen to guitar amps even from the 60's even fender and marshall had different sounds..

This is also reflective on the magazines available and content of mags like HIFI world that had build your own articles in the late 80's..and were very popular..even Maplin had a version on tube revival..Mullard type circuits..

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Back in the 70's and 80's the Asians used to favour their own flavour of "twing twang" music. Obviously their Hi-Fi was designed to compliment this. Back in those days British Hi-Fi was the only Hi-Fi that could thump out our preference for Rock. American Hi-Fi was up and coming but wasn't on our high streets then.

The same was true for loudspeakers.

Wether or not the same is true these days I will leave up to you to argue over. Denon make some decent Mid-Fi as do Rotel. Far Eastern modern tube amps are just marketing hype and leave a lot to be desired in most cases.

Over on our side of the pond, I remember a lot of talk about a British vs. American "sound." This was in the 1980s, when I was first shopping for hifi for myself.

I was told (and read in the hifi press) that the British sound was "tuneful" with tight bass, with a brighter tonal balance meant to accentuate "air." Linn, B&W, Celestion, KEF, Creek, Arcam, Cambridge Audio, Cyrus amps and speakers were all supposed to have this style. Even the NAD 3020 amp was lumped in with this group. The Linn LP20 turntable and Rogers LS3/5a were supposed to exemplify this sound. (Never mind that the Garrard 301 turntable and Tannoy dual concentric speakers are very different from the above...)

The American sound was supposed to be more "solid" and "earthy" sounding. Hafler, Carver, JBL, Krell, ARC, McIntosh, Klipsch, etc.

Within the American speakers there was supposed to be a divide between an East Coast sound and a West Coast sound. East = AR and its descendants, Boston Acoustics, KLH, Advent. West = Altec Lansing, JBL and Klipsch. West Coast speakers were supposed to be the bomb for rock music, East Coast for classical and acoustic jazz.

The Japanese sound was supposed to be more "electronic." Denon, Luxman, Yamaha, etc.

Of course the biggest difference was in speakers (those are the components with the most colorations). However, I hear plenty in common between Snell Acoustics and B&W, and even Advent and Tannoy. I hear a completely different sound when comparing Tannoy and Klipsch, even though both employ horn tweeters.

Well, all that's for whatever it's worth. I think there's so much variation in "voicing" that one can find patterns anywhere one looks. Or not.

--

Thanks for contributions.

I associate "British sound" with old Wharfedale speakers and BBC Radio 4 news.

The "twing twang" comment seems a bit edgy, and not very obvious. I wonder if it's true? Was "twing twang" ever a big recorded music market? Interestingly, a Pakistani member says that the audio equipment he sells is used for listening to "English" music...I guess that means in the English language. Paradoxically, here in Bradford (the old Wharfedale factory is at the end of my street), sales of home stereo systems are almost zero. Youth listen to music in cars, because it is widely forbidden in homes. The influx of Slovaks sometimes play their folk music live, usually badly, or play Europop CDs.

I got to thinking about variations, through time and by region, in the definition of "high fidelity". If hi-fi is "perfect reproduction", defined by absence rather than presence, then how can it vary from place to place?

The obvious answer is that hi-fi is universal, but cheapness and other unavoidable impediments are a matter of culture. This is not a comfortable argument, because it seems to suggest that culture itself is impediment...that there is an ideal culture from which actual cultures deviate.

I've been trying to develop an anti-reproductionist conception of hi-fi, based on the idea of "authentic presentation". This works well for variation over time, but regional differences are a challenge. The point about different types of house is helpful though.

"...patterns anywhere one looks. Or not." Salutary warning, thanks.

All the same, maybe I should get some proper German speakers. "Deutschland Deutschland uber alles" probably doesn't suit my Celestions.

Yes , I was listening this morning to the system in the living-room , which is obviously DIY-proof ;):eek: composed by a Yamaha tuner , a Rotel amp and a pair of Canton bookshelves , which reminded me of what Speakerdave said
about a week ago about the Canton sound or equalization .
I really like the little loudness contour they tend to have , as it might be a reference...you know...comparing ,making judgements about quality ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.