Memories of electronics.. - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th June 2012, 10:47 PM   #41
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyuri View Post
The oscilloscopes are always fascinated me.
I have three oscilloscopes.
So what?
My wife has three, not three, but four sewing machines!
These are much noisier.
And she got from me two sewing machines.
Do not ask, how many oscilloscopes I got from her.
This reads like free-form poetry. Once again, I have to say I enjoy reading the things you write more than anything else on this forum.
Old 8th June 2012, 11:09 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by c2cthomas View Post
Anyone her know what happens when you take a 12vdc motor out of a slot car and plug the leads into a 120 vac electrical outlet???? Ahem........ I doooooo.....
Do you know what happens if to put 30V speaker into a 220V outlet? I do. It growls and stinks.

Later I discovered what stinks: matching transformer.
Old 9th June 2012, 12:24 AM   #43
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
How about the miniature smelter using the old HO train transformer....some Tungsten? from a lightbulb....a BB size crater in the cement floor as my liquid metal glowed white hot.......@ 9 YO??

__________________________________________________ ______Rick.........
Old 9th June 2012, 11:18 AM   #44
49 - for the 18th time - again!
diyAudio Member

Ahhhhh - I juz hadda good memory (memory is a challenge):

I remember now how I discovered that on some circuits (say a 20 mA current loop) why you sometimes need to use a ground buster on your o'scope.....
Old 9th June 2012, 12:04 PM   #45
Gyuri is offline Gyuri  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
This reads like free-form poetry. Once again, I have to say I enjoy reading the things you write more than anything else on this forum.
You just flatter me.
But maybe not.
In this case, maybe you want to see my speech, which I told my son's funeral.
However, this is a difficult task for me.
Not only because of the case, but because the English language.
Old 9th June 2012, 12:14 PM   #46
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Your English is truly poetry. It may not be intended that way, but that's how it ends up- I wish I could read Hungarian to see what your writing looks like in your native language.
Old 9th June 2012, 12:16 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

When I think back to the early 70's and my early forays into burning components I hide my memories in shame.

In those days it was almost impossible for a young teenager to learn about electronics, that was a World reserved for university graduates.

I can remember someone telling me that you could drop voltage across a resistor. Needless to say I used my non-existent knowledge to build a transformerless PSU.

How I never burnt my parents house down or killed the cleaner (Mum) I don't know.

I've got a degree in Electronics these days. That doesn't make me an audio expert though.
Old 9th June 2012, 03:31 PM   #48
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
In those days it was almost impossible for a young teenager to learn about electronics, that was a World reserved for university graduates.
I'm puzzled. I would have thought that in those days it was a lot easier to learn about electronics than today. That is when I learnt about electronics. School maths and science were at a higher standard than today, so the prerequisites for electronics were in place.
Old 9th June 2012, 04:23 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
I too am nonplussed. The electronics magazines I devoured almost every month in the early and mid 70s probably have few parallels today - Everyday Electronics, Practical Wireless, Practical Electronics, ETI, Wireless World, Elektor.

I was introduced to electronics at school by a teacher who kept a kit in the classroom. Every Wednesday afternoon we were given the choice of which 'toy' to play with, I mainly gravitated towards building a crystal radio. I recall spending considerable time trying to get my head around how 3 legged transistors (black painted glass, so perhaps OC71s) decided how to divide up the current between those 3 wires. In comparison, diodes and resistors were pretty straightforward. This would've been around age 10 or 11.

<edit> The very same teacher also introduced us to his induction coil, which was wired to a pair of spoons. He'd have the whole class hold hands (probably around 35 kids) in a big circle and fire it up. We dropped hands pretty quick! Nowadays I guess such antics would be illegal. One of the boys in the class proved how 'hard' he was by holding the two spoons by himself and refusing to let go...

Last edited by abraxalito; 9th June 2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 9th June 2012, 04:25 PM   #50
M Gregg is offline M Gregg  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I remember early days,

Building my first power supply with a 5W Zenner to get the supply rail..I thought "why no voltage" ???...so touched the metal cased zener as my skin stuck to it and blistered across my thumb and finger about half an inch..

After putting my hand under the cold water tap to cool it and dancing on the spot for about 5 minutes..Looked at the now burned vero board to find it was connected backwards..This was followed by playing with neons to create a relaxation oscillator (just for fun could I run disco lamps from them), Then putting them back in the mains lamp for the PSU...switch on and BANG a small rocket flew past my face...Forgot the resistor..

The next step was looking at the turntables in the local electronics shop..I wanted a Goldring OK well I'll have a Garrard but could only afford a BSR.....What cartridge MM/MC er well MM is easier to do...So BC109 preamps and trials with LM381 for possible MC upgrade.. and whats RIAA?? Back to the Horrible books...Then build it all into the plinth with TIP41a power amp..and HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.....tried everything...then oups the mains motor from the deck is not running on top of the plinth when testing it..

How to screen the top from the bottom section took days to figure it out....and wooohooo..er the volume control works backwards...then why do I need a log pot...and dreaded tone controls " Baxandall"

Such happy times with the 45s and albums....a bunch of kids doing what is necessary with pocket money..

Regards
M. Gregg

Hide this!Advertise here!