A new better phase-inverter. Is there a reason to patent? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd May 2012, 04:44 PM   #11
mos57 is offline mos57  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Remember what a patent really is: a license to sue. That's the only way to enforce a patent. D

What you means is that it need an attorney also in USA, so 100 usd not are sufficient.
I can request a patent in Italy for the first year, in the meanwhile i try to talk with one of the big semiconductor companies if they are interest to product the circuit as an IC.

But at this moment i think is more important to understand if there will a real interest for such a type of circuit. So i'm waiting for a feedback from an insider.

Francesco

Last edited by mos57; 22nd May 2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 22nd May 2012, 04:49 PM   #12
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

You do NOT need an attorney to file a provisional.

If you find that there's some interest to justify the expense of a full application, then you'll need an attorney. If the patent eventually issues and you ever want to sue somebody to enforce the patent, you'll need an attorney. But at this stage, you don't- all you need to do is file the provisional and see if you can find an interested customer.
Old 22nd May 2012, 05:02 PM   #13
diyAudio Moderator

Here's a flow chart in case I've not been clear enough.
Attached Images
File Type: gif flow chart.gif (9.2 KB, 189 views)
Old 22nd May 2012, 05:03 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You do NOT need an attorney to file a provisional.

If you find that there's some interest to justify the expense of a full application, then you'll need an attorney. If the patent eventually issues and you ever want to sue somebody to enforce the patent, you'll need an attorney. But at this stage, you don't- all you need to do is file the provisional and see if you can find an interested customer.

I'm not sure that in Italy the request of a patent is provisional so then i can modify it. It need to talk with my local patent office.
First time i have patented another circuit, i have paid an attorney,for sure.

Thanks for the tips
Old 22nd May 2012, 05:08 PM   #15
diyAudio Moderator

The point is that once you file a US provisional, you establish a priority date that is valid in Europe. You then have a year to determine if you're going to bother to file in the EU (an Italy-only filing is next to useless).
Old 22nd May 2012, 05:35 PM   #16
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Your idea doesn't have to be that much better than existing approach - if it isn't expensive then maybe an audio company will like to use it to differentiate from their competitors. But they won't be wanting to make you rich before they get rich.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 22nd May 2012, 06:10 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
Your idea doesn't have to be that much better than existing approach - if it isn't expensive then maybe an audio company will like to use it to differentiate from their competitors. But they won't be wanting to make you rich before they get rich.
I am pretty sure that my circuit is superior to others because it has everything you need from an ideal phase splitter. But no point is this: is that now Audio is like the Mediterranean Sea, ie it is increasingly shrinking, and there are no many investments in this field. From the other hand, ML, Spectral, Classe', to say some names, have shown, that they can make real good amps, without Phase splitter. Indeed, these circuits are used only in push-pull amplifiers with not complementary output stages .
Now what do you think about the value for such circuit if it will be used only in the audio?
Old 22nd May 2012, 06:14 PM   #18
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mos57 View Post
Now what do you think about the value for such circuit if it will be used only in the audio?
Not nearly enough to be worth patenting.
Old 22nd May 2012, 06:37 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Not nearly enough to be worth patenting.
thanks for the encouragement.!!!!

No I'm not angry, it's better to be realistic, so it's as good as I wrote in post 1
Old 22nd May 2012, 06:47 PM   #20
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mos57 View Post
No I'm not angry, it's better to be realistic, so it's as good as I wrote in post 1
Excellent, I want to be as honest with you as possible. I've made my living off this stuff for the past 30 years or so and wish that I had someone warn me in advance what I was in for!

Hide this!Advertise here!