Damn UPS & brokers stuff - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th October 2003, 03:16 AM   #1
Elkaid is offline Elkaid  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Elkaid
Angry damn UPS & brokers stuff

That story happened to me twice so I'd like to warn other people who could fall in the same situation.

Several weeks ago, I ordered non-free sample (in my case, lcd character display) from an american company (and I live in Canada). I paid roughly 15$ for it. Normally, Canadians customers don't pay duty when ordering from the United States and vice-versa. However, I received today an invoice with a nice 150$ broker fee to pay because UPS has decided that the parcel needed to be duty freed.

Same story happened a few months ago when ordering PLCs parts from a well known web-based automation parts distributor. Again UPS, has shipped and we got another 150$ invoice from the broker.

I don't understand why I should pay duty when UPS is shipping and nothing to pay when Purolator is taking care of my parcel.

hey 300$... Come on, for less than 50$ worth...

Well, if you order anything and you have the possibility to choose the shipment company, please avoid UPS... Well, at least check carefully the terms.

Old 4th October 2003, 04:05 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
I don't know where you gotthe idea that normally you don't pay duties or taxes when ordering from USA. In my experience there is always someting to pay, unless declared value is very low or declared as NCV.

There are companies, like Digi-Key or Amazon, that has already duties and brokearge fees already included in the product price, that's why it seems that you don't pay any aditional fees. And they ship by Purolator.

Just today I received 4 trtansformers from Apex Jr by US Post, and the taxes/duties were $25 CAD.

In case of horrendous brokerage fees from UPS, I just simply refuse to pay, and they don't bother me again
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 4th October 2003, 08:34 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

It's why I'm prefer to find parts on Digikey vs. Mouser or most of the others. Digikey has a Canadian price list and a warehouse in Winnipeg. They've already imported it when they send it to you.

I'd rather pay the prices at Parts Connexion knowing that they are shipping out of Canada than attempt to save a buck or two by dialling 10-10-USA.

Until customs on both sides of the border actually respect the NAFTA, I'll let the firms do the importing for me. It's a shame that my selection of affordable parts is limited somewhat by this trans-national situation.

:)ensen.
Old 4th October 2003, 04:05 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Use USPS!

UPS from the US to Canada is a rapacious disaster for users: in short, don't use it. Their "brokerage fees" seem to be a form of arbitrary extortion.

There are typically no duties on electronic stuff coming from the US, but you will have to pay GST and (in relevant provinces) PST on the declared value or the insured value--whichever is *higher*; don't over-insure!

The really cheap way to get things from the US is to convince shippers to send things via the US Postal Service. Canada Post charges only a $5.00 handling fee for "brokerage" on such packages.

Norman
Old 4th October 2003, 04:11 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Also, they say that surface shipping by post from US to Canada is 6-8 weeks, but in reality it's less than 2 weeks.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 4th October 2003, 05:10 PM   #6
Mark Kravchenko --- www.kravchenko-audio.com
diyAudio Member

Default Canada U.S. Shipping

I usually use first class post and I get stuff in about a week.

Mark
Old 4th October 2003, 06:19 PM   #7
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

I've shipped many times to Canada and have always used the USPS. Shipping times varies wildly from a week to 5 or 6 weeks. The west coast seems to be better then the east. UPS has always been too expensive although I've never heard of the brokerages fees. The funny thing is, I have no problem ordering from the Toronto area. Ususaly just 2 weeks with reasonable shipping fees.

BTW Peter, I have a new job so our Oakville connection is gone. Oh well, we saved a fee bucks.
Old 4th October 2003, 07:49 PM   #8
jam is online now jam  United States
diyAudio Member

Moderators up to something illegal?..........................
Attached Images
File Type: jpg abr0757l.jpg (40.7 KB, 330 views)
Old 4th October 2003, 08:41 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Da5id4Vz
Default Nafta

I suppose that NAFTA only works in the favor of large business.

Cant you avoid the duty penalties by refusing shipment? It doesnt seem right that they can stick you with such a high fee that you havent authorized. I think Peter said that this has worked for him, but then I guess you do have to forfit your merchandise.

Not Another @#$%^ trade agreement. Geesh.

We can buy booze and cigarettes duty free at stores along the border; perhaps we need to lobby our governments for duty free electronics (parts only) stores too?
Old 4th October 2003, 09:30 PM   #10
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: Nafta

Quote:
Originally posted by Da5id4Vz
We can buy booze and cigarettes duty free at stores along the border; perhaps we need to lobby our governments for duty free electronics (parts only) stores too?
Hey Dave,

You're in DC right?

Hide this!Advertise here!