People should state their contry in the Profile - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd March 2012, 01:43 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question People should state their contry in the Profile

Why dont people state their country in the profile ?

Itīs stupid to give advice about parts or drivers to someone when you dont know what country they live in.Once i was advising someone to buy from a shop in the Netherlands and he lived on the other side of the world it happens in many times

Last edited by lduarte1973; 23rd March 2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 23rd March 2012, 02:02 PM   #2
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Members should be required by the rules to state something useful in their profile.

Particularly, if there is any commercial or professional affiliation.
Old 23rd March 2012, 02:16 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lduarte1973 View Post
Why dont people state their country in the profile ?

Itīs stupid to give advice about parts or drivers to someone when you dont know what country they live in.Once i was advising someone to buy from a shop in the Netherlands and he lived on the other side of the world it happens in many times
Or yes and everybody should provide a copy of driver license + SSN as well. Maybe real time eye pupil image through the web cam in the avatar area is a promising idea too

Internet let you order from major stocks from any country & madisound will ship drivers worldwide.
Old 23rd March 2012, 03:30 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

shipping and custom taxes dont exist according to you...

i dont give a rat were people live , just a question of not wasting time

Last edited by lduarte1973; 23rd March 2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 23rd March 2012, 04:17 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Delivery below 1000 EUR is tax free for individuals how it works here. But businesses include taxes in final prices already.

Ordering a camera from B&H or a driver from madisound below 1000 EUR would be cheaper than getting same item from a local store.
Old 23rd March 2012, 04:38 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

here in Portugal , besides shipping you have to pay customs somewhere in the 30-50% of the item (if item is from outside EU) lucky you then

once i got a letter from customs to go there (15km from my home) and pay taxes for 2 plastic bases for tubes , 8$ item value , never bothered to go there

Last edited by lduarte1973; 23rd March 2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 23rd March 2012, 04:48 PM   #7
brianco is offline brianco  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Location: Scottish Borders - Kelso; on the famous Tweed River!
I totally agree with the original poster and with AndrewT. This is surely intended to be a forum subscribed to by real people - not anonymous 'contributors', some of whom may express views which can occasionally be swayed by undeclared commercial consideration - though I must say that most members are very straight forward in this respect, but a very few are totally dishonest. Members who have a vested commercial interest in ANY aspect of audio markets should HAVE to declare that fact.

With regard to sourcing items on the advice of others, it is advantageous to know that posters living in the same country are advising - rather than people half a world away. This often may save large shipping costs, whilst avoiding delay and increased duties and general clearance charges. Further with heavy high value items such as drivers we here in the UK CAN get hit with enormous on-costs should an item on delivery prove faulty and require to be returned. There also are hidden revenue requirements should you need to have items repaired/replaced by overseas sellers. I recently had a new tip supplied for a fishing rod by the US maker. The cost was $140.00 The list price of the rod was $1,100.00 and I not only had to pay US$60 for shipping (EACH way + $120) but also had to pay import duty on the rod at re-entry at the full (new) value of the rod + shipping costs AND 20% VAT on the total, and then the shippers took a further Ģ15.00 for clearing the shipment! UK buyers of overseas 'bargains' beware!

Lastly, it is good to know peoples other interests...I have come across other fishermen and indeed am hoping that one will travel to the UK to stay and fish with me later this Spring.
Old 23rd March 2012, 05:14 PM   #8
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Of course, putting a place or flag does not guarantee that is where the person resides !!

I recently bought a chip from a member with a USA flag. (who is still advertising the chips in Swap Meet )

Imagine my surprise when a packet arrived from China !!

Am I suspicious .. you bet !!

Andy

Last edited by poynton; 23rd March 2012 at 05:18 PM. Reason: added about swap meet
Old 23rd March 2012, 05:17 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by lduarte1973 View Post
here in Portugal , besides shipping you have to pay customs somewhere in the 30-50% of the item (if item is from outside EU) lucky you then

once i got a letter from customs to go there (15km from my home) and pay taxes for 2 plastic bases for tubes , 8$ item value , never bothered to go there
And the next year you will get a bill for $80 for storage?
Old 23rd March 2012, 05:36 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
And the next year you will get a bill for $80 for storage?
they sell it or trow it away if you dont claim it within a time frame

Hide this!Advertise here!