Car Talk

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

One has to bear in mind that Krakatoa erupted in 1883 and global weather patterns did not return to normal until 1889 hence any remarkable events weather-wise during that period cannot be used to show anything pro or contra current ongoing climate change.

And Mount Pinatubo errupted in 1991, if we allow a similar timespan than anything until 1997 should also be excluded.

In fact recent decades have seen increased seismic and volcanic activity over earlier times, if we use this to weasel out - nothing is can be used to show anything.

Ciao T

Hi,

Maybe all those nuclear detonations in the last century have an effect, leave no stone unturned ....

Sure. We can throw more into the pot. Both man-made but not CO2 and natural.

T, a lawyer in another life .....?

Not really. The Law is more of a hobby, or preoccupation (as is reading things upsidown at a distance and other oddities), which you might relate to if you had grown up in a communist country, like I had the pleasure to do... :D

Ciao T

Hi,

Nope, it ain't, based on tropical sea temperatures:

NOAA%20SST-Tropics%20GlobalMonthlyTempSince1979%20With37monthRunningAverage.gif

Global monthly sea surface temperature (SST) in the Tropics (10oN-10oS, 0-360o) since 1979 according to the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Climate Prediction Center (CPC). The geographical sampling area is shown in map above as 'Tropics'. The thick line is the simple running 37 month average, nearly corresponding to a running 3 yr average. The warming period directly influenced by the 1998 El Niño is clearly visible. The data series goes back to January 1950. Here it is shown since 1979, to enable easy comparison with air the global temperature estimates shown above. Reference period: 1981-2010. Last month shown: January 2012. Last diagram update 13 February 2012.

This is taken from:

climate4you OceanTemperaturesAndSeaLevel

It is worth reviewing the complete dataset. Some as it so happens show clear local warming trends, but global impact seems to not supported by the data, while El Nino and Volcano eruptions clearly have global impact. If CO2 was the root cause of the anomalies one would expect to see global impact.

Ciao T

A: No where long enough a time-span to be valid.
B: I still see an upward trend.

I would accept the argument that B is not valid because of A. We are facing the basic problem of how to lie with stats.

NOAA and NASA were both muzzled when their reports did not match a certain administrations platform. An activity that should be well recognized by some in this thread. There are a lot of NASA-Goddard earth science types around here. I have my sources, so to speak.

Please explain how climate change ended slavery in Russia in 1723, in the british Empire in 1807 and the USA in 1865 for example.

I don't know enough about Russian history to say. Of the others - Quick and dirty: Reason the Brits and Americans did away with slavery is two fold and related. 1. Non conformist and other religious types hated slavery and the less religious became more sensitized to the hypocritical principle ('we all bleed the same colour') due to increased literacy and political participation 2. Industrial growth: slaves are not a market for industry and transportation.

And looking for connections between the fall of the Roman Empire and climate change comes up with this:
"Overall, analyses showed that the degree of climate change occurring now is unprecedented in the last 2,500 years, Büntgen and colleagues report today in the journal Science."

(from here:Climate Changes Linked to Fall of Roman Empire : Discovery News)
So? The climate 1000 years ago was lots nicer than it is today. I ask, "what's the problem if it's getting warmer"

Yes, climate change can have all sorts of effects. The medieval plagues probably did have something to do with the weather. And after the plague episodes labour was scarce and valuable, many of the social constraints laid on folk pre-plague were eliminated because many religious and political authority figures had been killed off and freedom to innovate became widespread, towns became important as shirty peasants went urban to escape repressive aristocracy. Out of Black Death came the modern world.:cheers:

Hi,

And Mount Pinatubo errupted in 1991, if we allow a similar timespan than anything until 1997 should also be excluded.

In fact recent decades have seen increased seismic and volcanic activity over earlier times, if we use this to weasel out - nothing is can be used to show anything.

Ciao T

Firstly and despite Krakatoa and Pinatubo '91 having the same VEI of 6 Pinatubo injected only half of the dust into the atmosphere as Krakatoa.

And secondly large volcanic eruptions lead to an overall cooling effect on global climate. Not something I noticed since '91.

And thirdly the computers which predict climate change predicted the effects of the Pinatubo eruption very precisely indeed. What makes you think they suddenly get everything wrong?

And thirdly the computers which predict climate change predicted the effects of the Pinatubo eruption very precisely indeed. What makes you think they suddenly get everything wrong?
Sudden injection of particulate matter of "known" amount is doable and the effects only last a few years.

What the models can't handle, that I know of, is what drives cloud formation. If they can't handle that, then they can't model climate with any accuracy.

Speed of car is not constrant...

In Germany Posers drive merc's, not BMW. BMW are quite common every day cars there.

That is the fun with an M5 or M7... An almost racing car that looks like a normal family car.

Nissan Sentra is much cheaper here, but the same fun, especially after you passed Ford Mustang accelerating, it finally sticks to your back to read what is written there... Nothing special, just SE-R :D

The spec V is under-rated. Sleeper. The R just does not have the get up and go for the up-tight me-first NASCAR re-enactment DC Beltway. This ain't California.

Talking about an M7, which we don't even have here, or even a Panamera is irrelevant to us mere mortals who still have jobs. For what they cost, they should be perfect.

The R is a car made by Japanese designers especially for Americans. I wanted to buy Spec V, but my wife is afraid of manual gear sticks. :D
They have now all the same, except gearbox.

I don't knoiw what is 20l/100 km, but I have always above 30 miles per gallon. Compared to Civic Hybrid from Honda that averages on 36. Armada that did 15 miles per gallon I sold. What a car it was! Flying tank, literally...

Edit: please don't call me"Japanese Patriot!" They really make very good cars! :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.