Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th June 2012, 06:30 PM   #251
diyAudio Member

Wow, had no idea they've been at it since '77. I don't blame them in that case.

I don't listen to the show often, but I've always enjoyed the ones I did have a chance to listen to. I only discovered the show about 5 years ago.
Old 9th June 2012, 06:36 PM   #252
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Well, the Cruze has arrived. These GM people are fantastic - they sold me a car off a boat. The exact model I wanted happened to be on a transport ship in the Mediterranean when I went shopping, so they sold me a car off that boat!

It's a hatchback, silver color, LTZ equipment level, supposed to be the highest they offer, only two submodels above it, one with leather seats, and another with a satnav which does not work locally, so it's actually meaningless to me.

I'm being very gentle with it just now, as suggested by the manual it should be driven gently for "several hundred kilometers", which I immediately understood as 1,000 km (app. 620 miles). Comes in handy anyway, to get a bit used to it. It won't take long, as its size is alsmost exactly the same as the car it replaces.

First impressions very good, also some small things which are bothersome. For example, the temperature setting knob of the air con is so placed that while driving, I can upset it inadevrtently with my knee - a lock function would have been welcome. Other than that, it's chock full of functions and capabilities, one really HAS to read the manual if only to see what he's got built in.

For the price, and it cost me a net sum of €14,629 (app. $19,500), there is NOTHING on the horizon to match it overall. A nearly equivalent Ford Focus would have set me back another €3,566 (app. $4,700).

As far as I can see, it's only technical glitch is that unlike the US market, in Europe it is NOT available with a 1.4 litre turbo engine, delivering the same HP but about 12% more torque; unfortunately, that engine is reserved for Opel Astra only, GM's own more upmarket product. This is their problem in Europe - they want to push Chevy, but have to VERY careful or they will compete with their own European prime brand, Opel of Germany.

BTW, that same Astra, with that turbo engine and same equipment, would have set me back €20,250 (app. $26,730) - definitely NOT worth the price difference of €5,621 (app. $7,420). The entire drivetrain, literally EVERYTHING underneath the skin, is made by Opel anyway.

And a juicy, sexy 5 year or 150,000 km international warranty.

MOST appropriately named "Cruze" - ideal for easy cruising, low petrol consumption, Euro 5 engine, very compact feel to it, like it was carved from one piece of metal, and extremely comfortable. Overall, I am more than pleased.

Last edited by dvv; 9th June 2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old 9th June 2012, 06:55 PM   #253
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinnj View Post
The Migliozzi brothers are retiring and NPR's "Car Talk" will depart the airwaves. Last episodes this fall -- it'll probably reappear just like "Everybody Loves Raymond":

Hosts put the brakes on NPR's 'Car Talk' - latimes.com

Actually the show will not disappear, they are in the process of repackaging the existing shows for re-release after the last new shows air. (According to Doug Berman who produces the show.) Apparently they have enough material for 7 - 8 yrs worth before they start repeating - of course some of the more car specific stuff could end up sounding rather dated.. Here are the details from WBUR, the station that produces the show: http://www.wbur.org/2012/06/08/car-talk

Hide this!Advertise here!