Car Talk - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th March 2012, 11:30 AM   #11
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

I thought the VW was over priced too. Owning one, you get to understand what you are paying for. It just works better. It has a poise you don't find in Honda any more. The controls just work. I am forced to have an automatic, and the twin clutch "Doctors" tranny is by far the best performing. I really liked the Volvo C30, but their automatic is like a 60's Chevy. Honda does not make the 88 Prelude S any more. Best car they ever did. Kind of like the the BMW 3 series used to be before they destroyed it. My time with the Mini convinced me I will never own a BMW again. It's BMW, not the car. Hyudhi, Kia, and others are coming, better lines, but the chassis just does not have it. 90's feel maybe. No, right now the GTI is on top of what we can get here. I can't comment on the competition from France or Italy we don't get. I drove the new Mustang and Camero. Good thing they are nostalgia cars as they drive like it. If I wanted another throwback, I would buy another Morgan. Wagon? Yea. I want 4 doors and a hatch. Form follows function. I could not take my parents to dinner in my Spitfire, haul lumber in the TVR, or get more than a couple bags of groceries in the Mini ( Spare tire in the bed as I tossed the horrible run-flats). A car has to do it's job and still be fun. The GTI does for me. Everyone's taste and needs vary.
Old 8th March 2012, 12:12 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

I pretty much agree on Clarkson/TopGear being more entertainment than anything else.
On the other hand the laps were done by their anonymous professional driver.

By the way there is one of the original '60s Mustangs around which actually handled well by the standards of the day. It was a testbed/demonstrator for the Formula Ferguson 4wd concept before it was picked up by Jensen.
Old 8th March 2012, 12:38 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Darwin View Post
I remember during the '80s the americans sold the japanese a guided-missile system. A few years later during excersises they noticed that the missiles they sold the japanese were substantially more accurate than the same missiles used by US forces.
Turns out that when servicing them the japanese used replacement bearings from a video recorder head (probably JVC) in the gyroscopic guidance system rather than the original manufacturers replacement as they were a fraction of the cost and made to closer tolerances.[snip].
Urban legend. The missile system, HAWK* (Homing All the Way Killer) did not depend on gyro accuracy.

* Our German allies translated that to Heute Alles Wieder Kaput

jan didden
Old 8th March 2012, 01:47 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janneman View Post
Urban legend. The missile system, HAWK* (Homing All the Way Killer) did not depend on gyro accuracy.

* Our German allies translated that to Heute Alles Wieder Kaput

jan didden
In which case I blame Newsweek magazine as that is where I read it.
Old 8th March 2012, 04:04 PM   #15
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

At least the original Top Gear is entertaining. The US clone is not even that.
Old 8th March 2012, 04:42 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek View Post

Their newer planes seem to be based on newer photographs of Western planes and are now close to top tier. The Russian shuttle must have been a case where they did metric conversion incorrectly, as it was an almost exact ripoff of the STS but about 2/3 scale.

I'd like to see the AN-225 saved at some time when they quit using them. Park it next to the Spruce Goose ( which has a BIGGER wingspan)
Don't be silly... only Empire can use Imperial units (albeit customized)
everybody else is condemned to copying by taking photos and subsequent conversion to the metric ones
Airbus is just carbon copy of Boeing, Arian is a copy of Delta IV, converted to metric and scaled @ 2/3,
Sony TVs are adopted Zeniths, Rolls-Royce is a one of Cadillac... ups! no imperial to metric conversion here...
Old 8th March 2012, 04:53 PM   #17
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Darwin View Post
I pretty much agree on Clarkson/TopGear being more entertainment than anything else.
On the other hand the laps were done by their anonymous professional driver.

By the way there is one of the original '60s Mustangs around which actually handled well by the standards of the day. It was a testbed/demonstrator for the Formula Ferguson 4wd concept before it was picked up by Jensen.
Yes, the Stig did the serious driving, but here too you have a caveat. You are comparing on basis of speed only a Kia with a Ferrari. Kind of ridiculous. Other than having an engine, a steering wheel and four wheels, they are totally different products aimed at different segments of the public.

Does your average driver give a damn how fast his car can circle a race track? Especially if it's a model aimed at family and comfort, rather than speed and handling.

No way! I own two cars, and they couldn't be more different. The small fun car has never even heard of the word "comfort", if you happen to have a stone in your kidney, two hours in that car will break that stone - the kickback is that where a BMW series 3 corners at say 50 mhp, I will corner at 70 mph and leave him to wonder what happened. No ABS, no ESP, no nothing, it's just you and the car, its only attempt at pretending to be domesticated is an Alpine audio unit with JBL speakers.

I actually had to train to drive it. It took its time to sink in, but once it did, we became sort of symbiotic, at some point you start to feel the car as an extension of yourself. And that's what FUN driving is all about. I've had professional racers sit in it and most think it's too hard for the road.

But when I am in my Daewoo Nubira caravan/station wagon, I'll do that corner at 50 mph maximum, and that's probably pushing it. On the other hand, I'll also have air con, ABS, JBL speakers, etc, etc, etc, and I'll drive it all day long and come up not too tired at all.

Two worlds, not really comparable at all. Just like having a top list headed by some wild Lamborghini costing an arm and a leg, and then adding a Kia Rio to it - they might as well start testing bicycles.
Old 8th March 2012, 04:54 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexberg View Post
Don't be silly... only Empire can use Imperial units (albeit customized)
everybody else is condemned to copying by taking photos and subsequent conversion to the metric ones
Airbus is just carbon copy of Boeing, Arian is a copy of Delta IV, converted to metric and scaled @ 2/3,
Sony TVs are adopted Zeniths, Rolls-Royce is a one of Cadillac... ups! no imperial to metric conversion here...
Like, I see lots of cars made around the globe by almost all manufacturers of different brands that look like Nissan Murano that was initially designed by Japanese and French engineers.
Old 8th March 2012, 04:58 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I didn't know that Fiat made stable cars. Or Zastava...
Old 8th March 2012, 05:01 PM   #20
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvv View Post
Does your average driver give a damn how fast his car can circle a race track?
Nope.

I only care how fast I can get ahead in the Los Angeles/New York/London/Paris/Berlin/Beijing/Tokyo/Other (delete as appropriate) traffic Jams.

This where you realise the benefits of driving a Soviet (now Ukrainian) Vehicle knows by the designation T-84. It may not be fast on a racecourse, but in a traffic jam it still does around 40mph...

Ciao T

Hide this!Advertise here!