my wife and my speakers - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th March 2012, 04:15 PM   #11
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Love the Zenith cabs, George. Bravo!

My wife griped for years about my giant speakers in "her" living room. Now that we have a house were I have my own listening room, what does my wife do? She goes out and buys a pair of big, old late 50s Fisher console speakers to put in her living room.

"They're furniture" she says. (And she's right)
Old 10th March 2012, 04:18 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Well, if you can't make it look like furniture, then I guess you can't expect them to be acceptable. I try really hard to make everything I build look nice.
Old 10th March 2012, 04:48 PM   #13
Cassiel is offline Cassiel  Libya
diyAudio Member

What are women doing in the living room anyway? No mags. No TV. No me (I won't reply to anything you say) .There's nothing here for you honey. Toxic area too (smoke room). NO TRESPASSING. Wait for me in the dorm, I'm going to get charged with some Wagner.
Old 10th March 2012, 05:34 PM   #14
zman01 is online now zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkwright View Post
Ah yes, a sometimes delicate subject.

I include my wife in the design process.
This helps a lot sometimes. Still I see a tendency for greater acceptance of something not too big (so BiBs, horns are in the danger zone), and better if slim. Bookshelf types are probably easiest. End result should be "presentable".
Old 10th March 2012, 10:40 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I usually wheel my wife out when I want to listen , wheel her back afterwards..
Easier...just crank up something loud....she will leave.

Quote:
Love the Zenith cabs, George. Bravo!
Those unassuming old radios each contain a Hawthorne Silver Iris 15 inch coaxial driver. They are 96+ db efficient and rated for 150 watts. I have a 125 WPC tube amp available. Any way you look at the math, they are a deadly combination.....and it wasn't even my idea! Sherri's Fostoria glassware collection must be carefully moved from the radio tops before sonic booms are created though.

Quote:
That is audio blasphemy! Acoustically AND visually imbalanced and because of that one missing screw
But they are audiophile grade sheetrock screws. Each was selected to tune the cabinets for optimum reproduction. The finest quality Home Depot grade plywood was used, and each piece was carefully weighed and the screws balance out the system.

Quote:
so go right ahead and send them over to me. And to show you just understanding I am -- I won't even charge you for taking them off your hands.
Oversize shipping from Fort Lauderdale to Canada.....Yeah, it would be cheaper to buy the stuff there.

Quote:
My bigger problem is getting speakers and amps with low enough distortion she can stay in the room when they are on.
To me much of the music she likes IS distortion and vice versa. The stereo doesn't get used when we are both home.

Quote:
My wife griped for years about my giant speakers in "her" living room. Now that we have a house were I have my own listening room, what does my wife do? She goes out and buys a pair of big, old late 50s Fisher console speakers to put in her living room.
We are planning for the day when I finally get "retired" from the company where I have worked for the last 39 years. Right now we have two houses seperated by 1100 miles. We will be building our retirement home from scratch, or adding on to the one up north. Yes, two living rooms are on the top of the list, preferably on two different floors. One will be the typical fare with high WAF and the other will be my "man cave" with the FUGLY speakers, one or more guitar amps, and good soundproofing. My mother in law forsaw all of this and to help convince me to retire to her hometown, she bought the house, two 47 inch 3D TV's a "man cave" approved recliner and refrigerator and even a set of drums! She left all of this to us when she passed.
Old 10th March 2012, 10:44 PM   #16
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

That rules! But won't you freeze your rear end off if you leave South Florida?
Old 11th March 2012, 01:06 AM   #17
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
That rules! But won't you freeze your rear end off if you leave South Florida?
He will be back .......
Old 11th March 2012, 02:10 PM   #18
Cassiel is offline Cassiel  Libya
diyAudio Member

Hey some member rated this thread poorly - only one star. Woman identify yourself.
Old 11th March 2012, 02:36 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
That rules! But won't you freeze your rear end off if you leave South Florida?...... He will be back .......
Maybe yes, maybe no. I have been in South Florida for nearly 60 years. I have never lived anywhere else. I am ready to try something different for a while. This isn't the place I grew up in anymore. Look at all the reasons that Dade, Broward and Palm Beach county all made the top ten list of "most miserable places to live". Violent crime, government corruption, unemployment, forclosures, high cost of living.....I'll trade those for cold weather.
Old 12th March 2012, 03:05 AM   #20
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Sarasota .........

Hide this!Advertise here!