Mouser's most careless mistake yet . . . - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd March 2012, 02:17 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Mouser's most careless mistake yet . . .

I ordered a Hammond chassis with optional cover through Mouser. The enclosed photo shows what arrived today. I looks like some kind of BNC connector. I've received wrong items from Mouser before, but usually, the sticker on the baggie is for the item shipped, not the item I ordered. And they send similar items, like the wrong value resistor, or the wrong color phono jack. How does someone confuse a BNC connector with an 8" by 12" piece of sheet metal?

What is scary, is that previously I ordered 2.2kohm resistors. The label on the plastic baggie had the correct part number and description, but the resistors inside were all 11.5kohm! Unless I had checked them before installation, I would have installed the wrong resistors. I recently finished building the DX Blame MKIII, and I had a lot of trouble getting those boards to behave. I eventually got them to work by tearing out every component which could possibly be faulty and replacing them - often with higher-rated components. At the time I was not in the habit of checking every component before soldering it into place. Obviously I am now! I wonder if my problems may have been caused by an incorrectly filled order? I'll never know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wrong item.jpg (161.5 KB, 237 views)
Old 2nd March 2012, 03:28 AM   #2
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Wow. April 1st came a little early this year!
Old 2nd March 2012, 03:33 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I ordered some Vishay Dale 10K RN55 resistors and got 110K instead. It may be the only screw-up in ordering from them in a long, long time. But I have found them very good to deal with. Mouser are the only guys who handle ThatCorp IC's and transistor arrays, they are really good on Wima Caps. Digikey is fastest to ship and Mouser is #2, Allied, Future, AvnetExpress, Arrow always take more time.

btw, my best vendor is McMaster -- the stuff always arrives the next day!

Last edited by jackinnj; 2nd March 2012 at 03:36 AM.
Old 2nd March 2012, 03:37 AM   #4
imix500 is offline imix500  United States
Proud Union Member
diyAudio Member

That's happened to me a couple times.
They've always been very accommodating- even overnighting the correct part if I asked nicely. It could have simply been in the wrong bin or the worker grabbed the part from an adjacent bin.
I'd kinda like to see their inventory/picking system. I bet it's akin, although slightly scaled up, to the B&H conveyor belt system in NY.
Old 2nd March 2012, 03:50 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

it happens, i check the parts B4 i solder now too.
once i ordered peace and quiet, and i got 3 kids..........
Old 3rd March 2012, 12:25 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I don't mean to criticize Mouser too much. They have a huge inventory, so mistakes are inevitable. And they are shipping out the correct parts right away.
Old 3rd March 2012, 12:29 AM   #7
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

What is important is how they handle mistakes.
Old 3rd March 2012, 12:32 AM   #8
Einric is offline Einric  United States
diyAudio Member

That's just like the US ARMY supply sergeant that put in a request for two gross of latex gloves and received an armored Mercedes Benz. LOL

BTW....I use those compression BNC's almost every day at work.
Old 3rd March 2012, 12:36 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Being sent the wrong resistor values has happened to me a few times. It mostly occurs when the sticker on the outside is correct, but the product in side is not. With the surface mount resistors this is pretty easy to notice though.
Old 3rd March 2012, 01:08 AM   #10
just another
diyAudio Moderator

I'd say there is a manual step to punch in the part numbers for picking. a quick search on amphenol RF reveals that their part numbers start with 523 (as opposed to 543 for the ordered chassis).

I recently went to buy some resistors from altronics. I went to the bin, the part number on the packet was correct, but the value was not. They were supposed to be 24 ohm resistors but the packet said 4 ohms. Being colour blind, I had to ask the sales person to check the colour code for me. The value was indeed 24 ohms only the printing of the value on the label was incorrect.

I have always measured my resistors before installing, mainly due to the fact I can't reliably read the colour bands

Tony.

Hide this!Advertise here!