Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th February 2012, 11:59 AM   #11
Cassiel is offline Cassiel  Libya
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I relax by bending wires...

You're not the only one....some amazing work here:

Kte 66 - Klonen angriper
Old 20th February 2012, 12:01 PM   #12
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Live music, of course. After all, this IS Austin.

Saw a TV show the other day where the host cracked that Austin was the only place where playing guitar in a band won't get you laid.
Old 20th February 2012, 09:32 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I play with my dogs. I refer to them my sanity. It's hard to be cranky around a dog that is deliriously happy to see you, plus tail wagging is funny.
Old 13th October 2012, 09:50 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

So the real challenge comes with placing the components neater than this:
Click the image to open in full size.

I'm satisfied:
Click the image to open in full size.

The teflon isolated silver foil for ground between all sockets is not yet mounted on the module shown. The module is installed in my preamp and functional.

I've an issue with the tube placed in the center of the line stage. It starts to oscillate after several hours of playing music. Replacing the tube didn't solve the issue, replacing the leaded grid resistors with higher value 1206 SMD had a positive effect.

I do fear that the teflon tube sockets are no good in this wide band line stage. The teflon part of the tube socket is higher than a NOS Tektronix socket so the induction is unavoidable higher as the pin connector will be longer as well. So either I've to reduce the bandwidth of the line stage or I've to change the socket. Well, **** happens.
Old 13th October 2012, 10:54 AM   #15
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Neat wiring and RF don't always mix. The snag is that the devices don't know you only meant them to amplify audio, as they see lots of nice UHF resonators in the wiring. Low loss sockets can encourage instability too.
Old 13th October 2012, 12:17 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

I take my mountain bike out for a thrashing, or play guitar.

Alternatively, I put on the slightly crackly Slowhand (Clapton) album I bought recently and forget everything but the performance happening in front of me.
Old 13th October 2012, 12:25 PM   #17
DrDyna is offline DrDyna  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 View Post

Alternatively, I put on the slightly crackly Slowhand (Clapton) album I bought recently and forget everything but the performance happening in front of me.
Agreed, but my Clapton poison is "Just one Night"....which usually slides into Pink Floyd after half a dozen beers :P
Old 13th October 2012, 12:32 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
Neat wiring and RF don't always mix. The snag is that the devices don't know you only meant them to amplify audio, as they see lots of nice UHF resonators in the wiring. Low loss sockets can encourage instability too.
The line stages is built as described by Allen Wright in the instructions for the RTP3D and only the mentioned tube cause oscillation and only after several hours of music. I'll fix it one or another way. :-)
Old 13th October 2012, 01:09 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDyna View Post
Agreed, but my Clapton poison is "Just one Night"....which usually slides into Pink Floyd after half a dozen beers :P
I'll keep an eye out.

I usually shop for vinyl in charity shops - there's often a wide variety to pick from. I've found some as cheap as 50p each, though playback can be rather variable.
Old 13th October 2012, 03:50 PM   #20
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Bay Smidt
The line stages is built as described by Allen Wright in the instructions for the RTP3D
The top layout in post 14 appears to have a lowish inductance ground bus connected to the central spigot in each valveholder. The bottom layout does not.

Hide this!Advertise here!