HUGE technology development.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If Edison was a scientist he would not have blown the wad on DC power transmission. Edison invented industrial science. He was the Ford of electricity. He hired a bunch of scientists and told them what to invent then took the credit. (sorry thats a little harsh)

Last edited:
GloBug said:
Consider the limited coupling of a single wire to radio waves, where the only improvement is in length.

If you pictured it in the "traditional" transformer context, it's weaknesses are obvious.
Length? Of the antenna, range of signal or what? Weaknesses of what? Difficult to comment on something I don't understand.

Think of how a crystal radio works, using a capacitors resonance to it's advantage, now scale this down and paint it on.

I don't think it "extends" the range so much as it "improves" the coupling of the device with RF waves.
A crystal radio works via LC resonance, not "capacitor resonance", but it is true that impedance matching providing good coupling is part of the technique.

If this spray-on coating does anything, it could be by acting either as a dielectric or a negative index metamaterial. In either case it would need to be designed in to the antenna, not just sprayed on the outside. Antennas just aren't that simple!

If you don't understand now, then it does it warrant further comment?

Here's some test you can do at home.

1: Cut 90% of the length off of any antenna, now does this work better or worse?

2: Separate the primary and secondary windings of any transformer and place them at opposite sides of the room, does it work better or worse?

You do realize that an antenna is in reality half a transformer?, a transformer is really two antennas with a core to improve coupling?

A crystal radio works via LC resonance, not "capacitor resonance", but it is true that impedance matching providing good coupling is part of the technique.

And what does the "C" in LC stand for?

Do you agree that a capacitor can also have inductance?;)

As a side-note Chamtec is already a defense contractor, maybe one of the experts here would like to purchase some, you can always return it. Spray On Kit

I respect that some may have worked in this field for many years, this has nothing to do with future scientific discoveries.

It's one thing to claim you "know" how something works, "understanding" however is a completely different beast. The moment you close your eyes is the moment you stop learning,

So he should have blown the wad on Westinghouse's product?

Westinghouse did not invent AC nor was he nearly as successful as Edison.

No, he should have reviewed Tesla's inventions and papers and realized that AC was the way to go for long distance power transmission. Edison tried to force DC power transmission on the world out of greed and ego, and not on technical excellence.

GloBug said:
1: Cut 90% of the length off of any antenna, now does this work better or worse?
That would depend on whether it was already the correct length. If it was right, then shortening or lengthening or spraying dielectric on it would make it worse.

You do realize that an antenna is in reality half a transformer?, a transformer is really two antennas with a core to improve coupling?
Not quite as simple as that. You may be confusing the local induction field with the far radiation field.

And what does the "C" in LC stand for?

Do you agree that a capacitor can also have inductance?
Capacitor self-inductance does not play a significant role in resonance in a crystal set.

As a side-note Chamtec is already a defense contractor
Defense contractor's main skill is extracting money from the military. I used to think that defense contractors knew their stuff, and of course many of them do, but this is not universally true. I once saw a report on some military-funded research which showed that the author did not know the difference between input impedance non-linearity and gain non-linearity so assumed that one was a reliable proxy for the other - his experimental results showed he was wrong but he just blamed it on calibration errors.

It's one thing to claim you "know" how something works, "understanding" however is a completely different beast.
Yes, I agree. That is why there is so much nonsense spoken about antennas.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.