My Stupid Mistake

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well as you all know i colect pictures and schematics every time i see one and i sort them to folders. i have been doing this for 3 years and well last-night i forgot to save this 5gig folder off my drive and well NOW IM :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

Because i lost 3 years worth of pictures files schematics and other things. So now i'm SCREWED and must start all over.

PLAN to never do this GET A DVD-r burner : O )

SNIFF SNIFF

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Jason:

God, that's horrible.

Only two things I can say.

A) At least this is not a business machine. Big money is not involved.

B) The internet is growing by leaps and bounds. Although three years is a long time, you will probably come across most of The Good Stuff you lost on the net eventually. You know how it is-things just get copied from website to website.

What happened to the hard drive? Stolen? Formatted? :D

If it is only deleted, or the drive is not functioning, the physical data is still on the plate and in many cases can still be recovered.

Anyone, do you have similar schematic databank in your computer? Can you give me a zipped copy of it for safety reason? In case your drive is broken, you can always ask for another copy from me :D

Jason, listen this: If you have got disk problems: be cool! then deside what to do. 99% of the cases you can retrieve 100% or 99.999% of the data. Norton or similar programs isn't very expensive. Buy this program of borrow from a friend. Don't do anything folish like formating....which you already have done.

Ok, next time you remember...and backup copies. You know and I know that the compouter can break down, get stolen, dropped, poured coffe over etc. Anything can happen.

I helped a man with 2 years work on his Mac and suddenly the disk wouldn't rotate! I opened the disk and pulled the disk and it started to rotate. He didn't loose anything! Think about that!

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

A i don't have software to retrieve the data. and when i formated it did a cross rear write and took about 30 min to complete. so the stuff is gone.

Don't think because you formated a drive the data is gone to the digital black hole, it isn't...

With the right tools most of it can still be retrieved unless it's been overwritten by something new.

Cheers,;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Got some software that i can try then?

You know the answer to this one already...this kind of soft sells for at least a few thousands of $s.

One site I can recomend is GRC.com, where you may find some good tools and guidelines.

Unless you're using NTFS as a file system I can't recommend their Spinrite soft highly enough, it's simply outstanding.

There are a number of companies out there able to retrieve data from crashed disks and such but this is nothing I'd recommend at a private level, expensivissimo...:att'n:

The best advise I can give you for the future is doing an incremental backup of your valuable data to CDR-W or DVD-RW on a daily basis and grow a sense of healthy paranoia when it comes to anything named PC or M$.

Good luck,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.