Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th December 2011, 05:01 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 100W incandescent bulbs are now legal again

thankfully, they will not have to hang crepe at the Edison National Museum in West Orange, NJ. Tucked inside the omnibus spending bill is a provision which allows the continued sale and use of 100W incandescent bulbs.

My 91 year old uncle had an attic full of them anyway.

Congress overturns incandescent light bulb ban - Washington Times
Old 16th December 2011, 07:19 PM   #2
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Unfortunately it won't help us in the EU.
Old 16th December 2011, 07:40 PM   #3
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

It has become almost impossible to find 40W, 60W and 75W tungsten filament light bulbs around Edinburgh. Some shelves have locations for these bulbs, but they are usually empty.

Looks like the overnight queue at the doors is for old fashioned light bulbs.
I'll have to get up before the birds it seems.
Old 16th December 2011, 07:57 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I believe halogen bulbs were - are - and will be worldwide available without any restrictions. It is an improved incandescent lamp basically and has similar CRI about 99%.

I can highly recommend using 12V halogen bulbs via modern electronic transformers for indoor lighting they deliver best light (excluding the Sun which is obviously the best) for human eyes. Halogen bulb is twice as efficient in compare to old no-halogen one as well.
Old 16th December 2011, 08:47 PM   #5
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Presumably a halogen bulb will work OK in a lamp limiter? Nothing strange happens at low power?
Old 16th December 2011, 11:12 PM   #6
jlsem is offline jlsem  United States
diyAudio Member

The whole thing sort of reminded me of the time Nicolae Ceaușescu banned by fiat all light bulbs of more than 40W as an austerity measure.

John
Old 16th December 2011, 11:26 PM   #7
CBS240 is offline CBS240  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
It has become almost impossible to find 40W, 60W and 75W tungsten filament light bulbs around Edinburgh. Some shelves have locations for these bulbs, but they are usually empty.
It matters not that CFl's contain toxins, it's all about energy savings in an attempt to suck on and have a measure of control over the wealth of nations' economies. The fact that these bulbs are toxic means nothing to those who are paid very well to push those agenda items that are 'financed'. Say what you will about light bulbs, but if the comparison of energy savings were made between incandescent lamps and turning your thermometer just a few degrees down (in winter) or up (in summer), people might see how asinine the whole argument is. It's a shame someplaces in the so-called 'free world' are affected by such corruption, USA not too far away either I'm afraid.

Last edited by CBS240; 16th December 2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 16th December 2011, 11:36 PM   #8
rjb is offline rjb  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Watch out- LED's are coming. Some are now priced within reach.
Old 16th December 2011, 11:37 PM   #9
T2T is offline T2T  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
Presumably a halogen bulb will work OK in a lamp limiter? Nothing strange happens at low power?
Correct. The halogen bulbs are supposed to be OK with dimmer switches. They have them on display with a dimmer at my local home improvement store. I love how they look. But, in my case, I want to replace my ceiling recessed lights that are currently 65W incandescent bulbs, which currently run $3.99 (US$$). The new replacement Halogen bulbs in the size I need run $40.00 (US$$), each. I think the prices have to come down a bit before I'll be able to afford the 30 or so that I need.
Old 16th December 2011, 11:39 PM   #10
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Guess I don't need to worry about an ongoing supply of ballast lamps. Don't use any conventional 100W lamps, although I do use a couple of 3 way 50/100W/150W types.

Hide this!Advertise here!