Annoyance from certain noises - audiophile related? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th December 2011, 02:58 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

For me its only the dogs next door. Small yappy things. They bark whenever anyone walks (or breathes, apparently) within 3m of the house. As they live 2.5m away from an oft-used footpath, they can get very irritating at peak hours.

I, too, ask myself why they have to make that sound. Don't they get bored, knowing there is nothing they can do about the noises from outside their world?
There was only one conclusion I could reach: they're stupid, and don't know any better.

I have a younger sister, so not much annoys me
Old 11th December 2011, 04:44 PM   #12
gootee is offline gootee  United States
diyAudio Member

I believe that most people have those same tendencies. If they bother you too much, in your own judgement, then you might want or need to try to find ways to mitigate the problem.

Carrying a large belt-fed weapon with you, everywhere, is only one option (smile).

Xanax is an anti-anxiety medication. Something like that might be worth trying, if the problem affects your life, or your livelihood, too much. (It is addictive, in the sense that "rebound anxiety" might occur after sudden cessation. But if it is needed and works then it would be worth using it. And gradual cessation could be used to avoid the rebound effect.)

Just thinking about it, as you have at least started to do, should be able to help, too. There might also be mental TTPs (tactics, techniques, and procedures) that you could develop that would help you. One obvious non-mental TTP could be to have some earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones available, when you are performing activities that don't require hearing.

Maybe you could make a recording with the things that annoy you the most, but recorded in ridiculously-dense quantities, and use that to try to desensitize yourself, even if it's just at certain times or for special occasions.

Maybe you could also even find a way to learn to steer the anger energy into your preferred mental activity at the time. or perhaps you could steer it into some other emotion, besides annoyance or anger, perhaps something like pity (because they're so unfortunate or stupid or inept, for example).

(And the concommitant million-dollar idea is... Take those most-annoying sounds, and a sound-sampling keyboard, and create the most anger-inducing song ever heard. (grin))
Old 11th December 2011, 06:16 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

You missed my favorite...the guy in the car with the rap music so loud that it is rattling the body panels on my car.
Old 13th December 2011, 02:54 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

I don't like the sound of television flyback transformer and the sound of high frame rate 3d video games.

or computer hard drive seek noise on the audio.

but of course I have been ear trained to pick up flaws in recording.
Old 14th December 2011, 05:55 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Are skunks off-topic here?
I hate when they stink on my backyard.... Am I psychotic?
Old 15th December 2011, 04:35 AM   #16
gootee is offline gootee  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
Are skunks off-topic here?
I hate when they stink on my backyard.... Am I psychotic?
Not yet. But they are waiting to catch you too far from the house...
Old 15th December 2011, 04:43 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by gootee View Post
Not yet. But they are waiting to catch you too far from the house...
It is true. The next morning driving kid to school I found the source of the smell: dead animal on the road, 2 blocks from our house.
Old 15th December 2011, 10:10 AM   #18
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesNotHere View Post
I don't like the sound of television flyback transformer...
That will take care of itself in a few years.
Old 15th December 2011, 10:29 AM   #19
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

i'm right there with you, the loud eating thing sends me insane to the point where i have to say something. my Father makes even the most silent meals like risotto deafening!! and he cleans every last grain from the plate with his spoon, tapping and clinking the whole time, scraping every bit down into the bottom so he can get it aaaaarrgghh
Old 20th December 2011, 06:25 PM   #20
50AE is offline 50AE  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Visited my best friend today and I talked about the noise issues. Being completely normal, very nice person, emotional and even much sociable than me, she shared about the dislike of the same sounds and the same effect they have on her.
We have very similar personalities and we are great friends, we have even fallen in love for (sadly) a short time.

I start to think that the lack of sleep affects the sensitivity. We both have this issue, because we are mostly hard working guys.

Hide this!Advertise here!