A Woody Allen "tease" - Bergman - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st November 2011, 01:51 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default A Woody Allen "tease" - Bergman

yesterday evening I was watching a PBS program on Woody Allen and "Annie Hall" -- went back to the Brooklyn days where a lot of his material comes from . He said that he was particularly influenced by (obviously) Ingmar Bergman -- but also related that he saw "Summer with Monika" at the Jewel Theater in Brooklyn.

I thought I had seen all of Bergman's films, or all that had been released in the US. This one deals with some material which would have been banned in the US in 1953. which with the hindsight of history shouldn't be surprising for Allen. It's curious, however, that there's no US area DVD, just PAL for the UK.
Old 22nd November 2011, 11:29 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinnj View Post
yesterday evening I was watching a PBS program on Woody Allen and "Annie Hall" -- went back to the Brooklyn days where a lot of his material comes from . He said that he was particularly influenced by (obviously) Ingmar Bergman -- but also related that he saw "Summer with Monika" at the Jewel Theater in Brooklyn.

I thought I had seen all of Bergman's films, or all that had been released in the US. This one deals with some material which would have been banned in the US in 1953. which with the hindsight of history shouldn't be surprising for Allen. It's curious, however, that there's no US area DVD, just PAL for the UK.
The standing in line scene from Annie Hall is still an all time favorite, I thought region codes were by now a mere inconvenience.

EDIT - Amazon says I might also like "Irreversible", NO! Bergman was never that gone.

Last edited by scott wurcer; 22nd November 2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old 22nd November 2011, 01:08 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I liked the 1977 New York City much more than I like the 2011 New York City. You have to watch the '60s and '70s movies on Retroplex Channel to get that gritty sense of what NY was really like before it was taken over by a bunch of investment bankers.

I'll lob a request into Criterion and see if they can put it on their list.
Old 22nd November 2011, 01:28 PM   #4
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

He has a pretty smart kid too. Woody Allen and Mia Farrow's Son Becomes Rhodes Scholar - The Hollywood Reporter

Lucky kid - he has his mothers good looks.
Old 22nd November 2011, 02:57 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'll lob a request into Criterion and see if they can put it on their list.
The owner of one of the houses we looked at had the entire collection neatly in order on shelves. Every last one.
Old 22nd November 2011, 03:35 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hmm, I wonder if it was my sister's house.

I have almost all Kurosawa on Laser Disc of all things -- got a second Pioneer laser disc player I found in the dump. I took only one film course when McLuhan was teaching up at Fordham which qualifies me to critique his films.
Old 22nd November 2011, 04:32 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hmm, I wonder if it was my sister's house.

I have almost all Kurosawa on Laser Disc of all things -- got a second Pioneer laser disc player I found in the dump. I took only one film course when McLuhan was teaching up at Fordham which qualifies me to critique his films.
I would be forever in your debt if I could get my hands on a DVD copy of Penn's "Mickey One" (only on LD).
Old 22nd November 2011, 04:37 PM   #8
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Amazon.com: Mickey One: Hurd Hatfield, Warren Beatty, Franchot Tone, Alexandra Stewart, Arthur Penn: Movies & TV

Amazon shows "in stock."
Old 22nd November 2011, 05:37 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I guess it pays to check every once in a while.
Old 23rd November 2011, 06:25 PM   #10
jlsem is offline jlsem  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
I would be forever in your debt if I could get my hands on a DVD copy of Penn's "Mickey One" (only on LD).
Why? For the Getz score?

John

Hide this!Advertise here!