Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing that sticks in my mind is how good the 14 Bit Meridian players sounded . Detail they shouldn't have was abundant ( and so nice / accurate ) . I wish I kept the one that was traded in cheaply as I was astonished how good it was . Forgive my typo's ( previously and often ) . The last was taking my ex to the bus station and I was late . I always compare myself with Frasier , she definitely is Lilith .

I dislike CD , so to like one is rare .
The lack of deeper understanding, and "measurementitus" still afflicts the CD area -- the good news is that seemingly a few more manufacturers are starting to get it, I was impressed at the recent hifi show that a number of stock machines were doing very nicely: CH Precision made particularly accurate noises ...

Frank

What about an LP12 ...? :)

I still have an LP12 . It is a lot better than most other decks with 1W motors . I recently had an email about Lenco 75's . I suspect in many ways the 75 is better than a Linn . The pick up arm not as bad as it looks , however not to the standard of the deck . My criticism is the 75 has about 70% the torque it ideally needs ( still more than a Linn ) . My suggestion was a wild one . Add an external belt drive . If done with care all sorts of possibilities become viable . One includes slightly dropping the voltage to the main motor so as to have less rumble . The drive systems would need to be harmonized . Knowing how these things work I doubt it would be too difficult . In view of the need for synchronicity I probably would use a synchronous motor and raw mains electricity . OK I dislike synchronous motors and belts . It this case I can only see good coming from their use . I think John Curl said something about this before , someone tried to tell him Lenco better than Linn .

My first awakening to the Lenco was a lady who lived in Parktown Oxford . I had always been intrigued by the houses and the install was a chance to see inside ( fabulous ) . She had me bring a very nice hi fi with a $600 CD player ( Arcam ) . The payment was on the understanding that the Lenco would not be put to shame . The Lenco p-ssed on the CD player . She had worked on ship's most of her life and loved musicals . Turns out her neighbours in the USA were the real family from the Sound of Music . Apparently living up to the image of the film wasn't easy . We spent all night playing her records . I had thought her very posh and unapproachable ,how wrong I was . She bought records when ever should could , never having much chance to play them . It was much more important than I could ever have guessed that it worked . If I miss those days it would be installing equipment . It was a bit like going on stage , you never knew exactly how well it would go .

If someone writes a year from now saying Lenco destroys most belt drives regardless of price remember who told you . Are Lenco's as good as Garrard's ? Strangely , no they are not . If the two companies had worked together who knows how good it could have been ? Lenco did little things nicer than they needed to . Things you saw were awful ( the head-shell ) . So sad . MZ motorcycles were the same ( East Germany ) , didn't stop them winning the ISDT nearly every year . Didn't stop Susuki steeling their designer .

Last edited:
I had idler tables before, Garrard (3 types) and 1 Lenco and i really dont get it about lenco's today , they were all bettered by the LP-12 in the 70's so where is this sudden sonic surge coming from ...

:confused:

The Lenco is like that lump they use in the Dodge Viper . The LP12 is way outside of it's design brief and well done Linn . The Lenco is just a lump of cheap metal . What I always forget is I know more about this than I realize . Damp the platter but not with pure rubber . Get torque right . Cut corner off of Lenco chassis so as to connect the arm with the baseboard rather than the metal . Float the structure ( that's my way = easier ) . Finesse the bearing . Clean the power in . Listen to the music .

The old Renault Dauville ( ? ) engine was used for family cars . It also could give 2100 BHP for qualifying and <1000 BHP race day in the turbo days ( JPS = 2100 , would last 6 laps I am told . Information from interpreting speed traps and extrapolating , officially 750 BHP ) . Renault went around scrap yards it is said to get them . The family use and aging helped the metal much like cryogenics do today . Garrard platters also were aged in the rain for 7 months . The were machined then rested then machined again . It cost just a bit of storage . 301's were built in the summer to avoid sending staff home . Realistic pricing would say Garrard gave them away . The Lenco is your Dauville .

We costed redoing the 301 in China . Minimum $ 400 000 . Doubtless double when we got through to them that it looks the same doesn't make it the same . It would cost even allowing for the cheap production $1000 a unit . Guess what ? I wouldn't want one .

Back to my original question Gents ...

Questions for suggestions Gents ...

I want to upgrade the PSU caps in a PS-Audio amp i'm currently using, it currently using 12,000ufx4 in the psu, my options are ,

Leave whats there currently and add an addition external cap bank of 4 x68,000uf..

or

Remove current caps and install the 68K in it's place on the copper rails and remote the transformer to a separate chassis ...

Thoughts ...?

I had idler tables before, Garrard (3 types) and 1 Lenco and i really dont get it about lenco's today , they were all bettered by the LP-12 in the 70's so where is this sudden sonic surge coming from ...

:confused:

Let me remind you tht a truntable, ANY turntable, is a wasteland of variables, which most defiitely include the cartridge used. It's a very complex electro-mechanical system, which needs much care to set up properly. Very few I've seen in my life which were well set up all around, and hardly surprisingly, they offered good rewards.

The fact that siomeone might own what is generally accepted to be an excellent turntable does NOT guarantee top class results all on its own. I have seen and heard reasonably priced TTs outperform much more expensive counterparts simply because their owner took the time and trouble to do what needs to be done, while the owner of the expensive item just stuck it on with no further ado.

For a start, how many TT owners made sure their TT was REALLY level, using a simple watermark? If it isn't, the skating can't do its job properly. And so forth.

How many use a cartridge which is currently "in", rather than making sure the tonearm they have can accommodate properly that cartridge? And if not, then finding a cartridge which can?

Yes, TTs were messy, demanding, cruel masters, but if set up properly with an appropriate cartridge, they could thrill one indeed.

Nige, I think it was called Dauphin. The Renault, I mean.

Dauville ( the town ) was the factory I think ? The Dauphin , I remember those . A princess or a fishy mammal ?

Hope people got my drift . Torque of turntables matters ( it's 1 ohm again , only the stylus is the unsuspected load ) . Ideally from a motor with no cogging . Lenco has a good motor .

One of my favourite films ever ( and singer ) . This car is a Lenco .
Two-Lane Blacktop (1971) - YouTube

I noticed that . He was an Argentine gentlemen . That meant no cars for Britain after the war ? He was involved with motorcycles I think ? Benelli ?

I probably got the name from a journalist . after reading what I have said in print one should have doubt . I apparently said " CD is ideal to hum to whilst vacuum cleaning " , it's great and far better than I could say . David Price insists I said it .

Here is a warning for those who doubt the need for thick copper ( no one does I know ) . I have a 1 ohm resistor soldered into a 12 - 0 - 12 6VA running at 4 VA . The resistor for current measuring and a sort of fuse ( 1/8 watt ) . Having soldered in a 0.8 mm shorting wire I still get 0.03 V ! That's a lot for a wire that can carry 10 A . Not wrong , just a wake up call . 0.2A is not much of a load .

Back to my original question Gents ...
I want to upgrade the PSU caps in a PS-Audio amp i'm currently using, it currently using 12,000ufx4 in the psu, my options are ,
Leave whats there currently and add an addition external cap bank of 4 x68,000uf..
or
Remove current caps and install the 68K in it's place on the copper rails and remote the transformer to a separate chassis ...
Thoughts ...?

Maybe if you separate the trasfo there will be less "magnetic" interferences with circuits ?
The caps should be kept very close to the output transistors I think
Some commercial amps are built this way
Interesting question ... I would like to hear me too an expert advice
Kind regards,
gino

Last edited:
Here is a warning for those who doubt the need for thick copper ( no one does I know ) . I have a 1 ohm resistor soldered into a 12 - 0 - 12 6VA running at 4 VA . The resistor for current measuring and a sort of fuse ( 1/8 watt ) . Having soldered in a 0.8 mm shorting wire I still get 0.03 V ! That's a lot for a wire that can carry 10 A . Not wrong , just a wake up call . 0.2A is not much of a load .

you telling me , Mr 10 amp nominal .... :)

Maybe if you separate the trasfo there will be less "magnetic" interferences with circuits ?
The caps should be kept very close to the output transistors I think
Some commercial amps are built this way
Interesting question ... I would like to hear me too an expert advice
Kind regards,
gino

Capacitors are mounted directly to copper bars feeding the outputs .....this PS audio punches way pass it's weight class, very much a sleeper, picking up 2 more ...

or

Remoting the trafo is good, along with a few beefy caps to minimise voltage sag. Not quite sure whether you're talking 68K, or 4 of 68K ...?

Locally, lots and lots of small, say 1,200uF, radials, to make up that 68K, soldered to the copper rails in bunches as close as you possibly can get to the output devices.

Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.