Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
has no implication for Double Blind Testing - the blinding only eliminates other sense information, clues, "Clever Hans" effects

doesn't say anything about directing attention, "focus" to specific attributes - possible pre-test training on expected ways to hear the difference - "good" tests give the subjects every known aid in discrimination using their hearing, Blinding assures that they really are just using hearing

Here's a little article that may or may not be relevant, and may or may not be true:
The Insane Experiment

For clean experiment I would not use psychiatrists and psychologists. It is well known fact that many of them have problems with communication with other people, that's why they are so motivated in correcting others, instead of working on themselves. Also, they see patients, and are learning some of their problems, because they have to establish rapport with patients to be effective.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Well, anyone can say what they like, but it is a fact that Sidney Harman owns the world's largest private audio company, and in 2004, their turnover was over $2 billion.

Not bad at all for a suspected loonie.

Sid was tough to please, but looked easily 20 years younger than his actual age, and I truly thought he was going to make it to 100 or more. But he died just over a year ago, at 92, after he had retired and "handed the reins" to one Dinesh Paliwal.

Sid was tough to please, but looked easily 20 years younger than his actual age, and I truly thought he was going to make it to 100 or more. But he died just over a year ago, at 92, after he had retired and "handed the reins" to one Dinesh Paliwal.

I completely missed his passing away. I am truly sorry he's no longer with us, but 92 is a VERY ripe old age.

I would have liked to have met him in person.

Hi,

" In fact, another datapoint. Many of the really ultra-cheap simple paper cones, with fairly thin uncoated paper and significant measurable breakup nevertheless sound surprisingly natural (including my "open air" test), while a similar plastic cone drivers, despite having much superior response flatness and all sounds like a duck quacking and very obviously and unnaturally coloured!? "

If this is studied carefully the best of both worlds can be had . I would say paper is still the material of choice if able to have very strict quality control . The mix of the paper is important and can have very high tech ingredients . Paper has more chaotic behavior than typical plastics which helps greatly . . Also wood fibers are relaxed which helps . If two structures are made with carbon fiber ( speaker box laminate ) and wood , the wood usually is slightly superior in listening tests . I understand fully how the concept is a poor one to even give ( a marketing man will always prefer carbon fiber in my experience ) The remarkable thing is the glue is the discussion point and not the two forms of stranded material I beleive .

A high tech approach is Panzer plywood . It is very good and does not come out of the mind of an Audiophile .

http://www.track-smart.co.uk/AnideaSucceedsPart2.pdf

Last edited:
You never know . Audiophiles often have rich lifestyles and might need the protection a speaker can offer ! Glad you read it . I lent some hi fi for a film called Gangster No1 ( rubbish film ) . And also a Dansette record player . I notice the record player was more often in the film . That tells us all something doesn't it . The Dansette was SE using ECL 86 I think ?

Hey Ho , as we say in my part of the world .

I've worked with panzerholz.
Downsides are the weight and price, nearly doubles the loudspeaker weight and B15/B25 are horribly expensive.
Nice for turntables, but LSP's ? Maybe if some bulletproof doors fell off the trailer.

(a family member had a Delignit filled door installed after the Merc got stolen, cost : €10K in 1999 currency)

It is turntables I know it from . My freind who told me about it said about it being used in the ICE train for sound deadening . A very cheap wood sold in the UK is Sterling Board . It half way between plywood and chipboard . About $15 for 1.2 x 2.4 metres . I suspect if used with MDF as a composite it would be interesting . It should measure and sound good. MDF is much misunderstood and is an excellent choice if used with thought .

Status
Not open for further replies.