Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
andrea_mori,
well, that`s not a nice loop. In a broader sense, there are many currents and voltages inside an entity beside the one you measure with the DVM, forming loops, for instance, hysteresis loop. Resistance is an opposing (negative) force (voltage) developing across a resistor and other elements. We can`t call everything a negative feedback.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I think there's no benefit from those researches (unless you're a student, researcher or something). The bottleneck is not in the Science but in the human hearing threshold and that can be others or your own.

Well as a sound engineer i definetely see an interest in Blauert research when i want an effect or understand why there is thing like something on my lap or on the ground or.. but ok.

krivium,
beside the rectifying diodes, power supplies should consist of passive parts. Don`t blame the cathode resistor.

We have different approach and pov. I don't blame cathode resistor but i won't never tell something like 'should consist' without a context.

I mean regulation exist for good reason and in some case you can't do without- or a machine won't sound the same without: best example Fairchild 660/670 limiters which without their tube regulators ( yes a tube series regulator)...can't work!
Or a Urei 176/175 for which an OB2 (which IS a primitive form of shunt reg!) is used for the limiter/compressor part of the circuit, or the GZ34 used in place of diodes ( in place or because silicon wasn't good enough at the time).

I find some interesting properties ( and i like the sound) of shunt reg and even more when feed through a ccs ( keeping current return path under control have some advantages), why should i do without it? Because of some norm or because someone decided it is a sin?!

Frankly that sound like a blank statement to me. But you know i'm able to use hybrid circuit too in order to increase performance from tubes... i'm this heretic! :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Oh and by the way there is a lot of chance what you listen too was recorded/produced through at least one of the reference i talked about... Never take a look at a professional recording console or you'll have an heart attack! ( i serviced Ams/Neve, SSL and other toys like that at my time so i know what it is about ... and when we ( pro) talk about sound quality those one are on top or amongst the best.).

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Totally right about the sound of psu ( it's at least 50% of the sound).

But yes you SHOULD GO FOR PASSIVE whatever the situation! One size fit all and follow the dogma! You'll be happy forever and won't have to think... ever again ( and it won't bring issues relative to ohm law, fft, or something...)

:headbash:

:D
Sorry dogma is not for me i'm heretic!

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Ho i don't Scottjoplin.
I already stated we don't share 'common ground' as i'm a believer in ohm law ( all the side of it not only currents) and science.

It's just i'm sometimes scared by the lack of... or the too much of... from my fellows human being.

And tbh i'm proud to be an heretic. ;)

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Please let me laugh!

Maybe it's time to take a look at the evolution of the designs of ( sadly recently passed away at 91y old) Rupert Neve and it's view on it.
Sure the guy know nothing to good sound, tube, transformers, transistors or ic...

RIP Rupert Neve

Or maybe T. De Paravicini ( rip too)...

But no you shoudn't as they didn't care about dogma.

Last edited:
So how would you define this circuit?
Is not a single stage with feedback loop (although is positive feedback)?
I've seen textbooks on oscillators show that as two blocks in a block diagram, the tank circuit as a bandpass filter and the transistor circuit as an inverter-amplifier. Not that it much matters here, the idea of an oscillator is to be UNstable and oscillate at a desired frequency, whereas an amplifier is intended to NOT do that.

I do remember a quip from (many, many?) decades ago regarding the frustrations of electronic design: "Oscillators don't, amplifiers do."

Status
Not open for further replies.