Sound Quality Vs. Measurements - Page 90 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th January 2012, 09:34 PM   #891
diyAudio Member

Not difficult, possibly too easy.

I think most don't like the idea of 'good enough'. That is, It does it's job and doesn't add anything noticable. Then it's an amplifier. If it does add something to the sound, like a tube amp that adds "warmth" (whatever that means?), it's not just an amp, it's an amp+effect box.

Last edited by revboden; 12th January 2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12th January 2012, 09:35 PM   #892
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Good, that Quad-405 was mentioned.

The amp can't work at all with open feedback loops.

I myself designed similar amp (similar in the class A+B approach, but realization was quite different), that relied on nested feedback loops.

It is more complex than to take any amp, open it's global feedback loop, measure and compare
Old 12th January 2012, 09:49 PM   #893
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by revboden View Post
I think most don't like the idea of 'good enough'. That is, It does it's job and doesn't add anything noticable. Then it's an amplifier. If it does add something to the sound, like a tube amp that adds "warmth" (whatever that means?), it's not just an amp, it's an amp+effect box.
Too true. A few nights ago, I had a long conversation with a recording engineer about my mike preamp. He just couldn't "get" the notion of a box of gain that simply amplified without coloring or why in the world someone would want to build such a thing.
Old 12th January 2012, 09:50 PM   #894
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by revboden View Post
Not difficult, possibly too easy.

Heh-heh!

Did you try my Pyramid amps?

That add warmth, like any tube amps. But you can't measure it as some kind of added distortions. They are as low as transistor amps have, that have no tube warmth.

Any amp is "Good Enough", no perfect amps exist. The amp is the result of optimization of multiple variables, and criteria of optimization are different. Some designers know standards what and how to optimize, some designers know secretes what and how to optimize, but in any case going for better one parameter you inevitably make worse some other parameters.
Old 12th January 2012, 09:53 PM   #895
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

My tube amps add warmth to my listening room, which is a good thing this time of year. The warmth makes me relax and the music sounds better. Enough said!
Old 12th January 2012, 09:55 PM   #896
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Too true. A few nights ago, I had a long conversation with a recording engineer about my mike preamp. He just couldn't "get" the notion of a box of gain that simply amplified without coloring or why in the world someone would want to build such a thing.
You don't speak his language, obviously. Let him decide how good is sound of the mike preamp that adds nothing you don't like, and both will be happy.

Absence of colorations usually is perceived by great ears as soft, clean, warm, lovely sound. I gave up my previous attempts to convince them that I can't add such colorations. Instead I say, "Yes, sir!: and remove everything odd to get clean sound.
Old 12th January 2012, 09:57 PM   #897
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
My tube amps add warmth to my listening room, which is a good thing this time of year. The warmth makes me relax and the music sounds better. Enough said!
I have unfinished solid state (well, with tube driver) project in my living room that will add 1.4 KW of warmth, mostly by solid state devices.
Old 12th January 2012, 09:59 PM   #898
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY
box of gain that simply amplified without coloring
Admit it, Stuart: you like boring, clinical, uninvolving sound so you are forced to rely on the musicians to provide your enjoyment.
Old 12th January 2012, 09:59 PM   #899
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
T He just couldn't "get" the notion of a box of gain that simply amplified without coloring or why in the world someone would want to build such a thing.
Of course not, that's not how recordings (or even live) work. Mics and preamps are chosen for their "sound". They are tools to achieve and end, an artistic end. If that were not the case, all you'd ever need would be a pair of B&K measurement mics. Record anything and everything with those.

Photographers use filters, odd exposures, Photoshop and printing tweaks to achieve the look they want. Straight forward photos are often pretty boring.
Old 12th January 2012, 10:06 PM   #900
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
Admit it, Stuart: you like boring, clinical, uninvolving sound so you are forced to rely on the musicians to provide your enjoyment.
It is indeed my curse.

Hide this!Advertise here!