Sound Quality Vs. Measurements - Page 865 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th March 2013, 11:09 PM   #8641
fas42 is online now fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

The power chips are good enough as is, certainly have no trouble delivering truly "invisible" speakers, and the dynamics of the Beethoven 9th.

Where the refinements need to be made is in the support mechanisms, notably the power supplies. I have seriously contemplated doing a 2400W amp just using chip amps, and blowing the windows out of a listening room or two, just as an "up yours" ...

Frank
Old 15th March 2013, 12:33 AM   #8642
benb is offline benb  United States
diyAudio Member

I suspect in ten years' time, "power chips" will mean Class D, and current power chips will go the way of the wallwart containing a 50/60Hz transformer.
Old 15th March 2013, 07:18 AM   #8643
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas42 View Post
The power chips are good enough as is, certainly have no trouble delivering truly "invisible" speakers, and the dynamics of the Beethoven 9th.

Where the refinements need to be made is in the support mechanisms, notably the power supplies. I have seriously contemplated doing a 2400W amp just using chip amps, and blowing the windows out of a listening room or two, just as an "up yours" ...

Frank
Frank, the question is whether "good enough" can be made into say "very good".

I seriously believe a FET buffer could improve the sound, it almost always does (assuming no design booboos). At the very least, it can't hurt.
Old 15th March 2013, 07:19 AM   #8644
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I suspect in ten years' time, "power chips" will mean Class D, and current power chips will go the way of the wallwart containing a 50/60Hz transformer.
A very likely possibility, I agree.
Old 15th March 2013, 08:55 AM   #8645
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvv View Post
Frank, the question is whether "good enough" can be made into say "very good".

I seriously believe a FET buffer could improve the sound, it almost always does (assuming no design booboos). At the very least, it can't hurt.
Well, everyone knows the difference between "good enough" and "very good" -- I distinctly remember laboratory instruments with these markings around the scale ...

Trouble is, the ear is a strange animal - hard to know what to feed it at times! However, I reckon I've got a pretty good handle on it ... if an amp, which in my book is an alias for a complete system, allows one to put on one's "worst" recordings, the speakers stay "invisible", I can wind it up to the point just before the voltage rails clip, and then drop to an almost inaudible whisper without apparent change in tonality, and the sound remains "natural" at all times, then I would say it's "good enough". Extra would simple stuff like being capable of clean 125dB peaks vs. 118dBs, then I would up the "goodness" rating ...

Frank

Last edited by fas42; 15th March 2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old 15th March 2013, 09:17 AM   #8646
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas42 View Post
Well, everyone knows the difference between "good enough" and "very good" -- I distinctly remember laboratory instruments with these markings around the scale ...

Trouble is, the ear is a strange animal - hard to know what to feed it at times! However, I reckon I've got a pretty good handle on it ... if an amp, which in my book is an alias for a complete system, allows one to put on one's "worst" recordings, the speakers stay "invisible", I can wind it up to the point just before the voltage rails clip, and then drop to an almost inaudible whisper without apparent change in tonality, and the sound remains "natural" at all times, then I would say it's "good enough". Extra would simple stuff like being capable of clean 125dB peaks vs. 118dBs, then I would up the "goodness" rating ...

Frank
Not to get too deep into semantics, all I am suggesting, based on my admittedly very small experience, is that a discrete FET buffer COULD improve the sound somewhat.

I have to be vague because there are far too many power amp chips I haven't even seen, let alone heard, especially over the last 5 or 6 years.
Old 15th March 2013, 09:34 AM   #8647
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

hm, 95 dB speakers are on the high side of efficiency - so a 125 dB " very good" system would need 1 kW of amp?

Geddes gets 95 dB sensitivity with his Abbey, uses a 12" waveguide and B&C DE-250 compression driver - which is rated for 120 W "program power capacity"

"a very good system" requires a fire extinguisher at hand, a closet full of spare drivers?

Last edited by jcx; 15th March 2013 at 09:40 AM.
Old 15th March 2013, 09:55 AM   #8648
diyAudio Member

There are always so many variables affecting the sound, in my experience quite a number of them have to do with aspects largely ignored by most. So, using using that FET buffer may make a dramatic difference to a particular circuit, but I would try doing something other to make my significant improvements ...

Realistically, 115-120dB peaks is all one should want; check out pro shops, active monitors for a bit over $500 a pair promise this for near field listening. It just takes a little bit more sensitivity, a little more power to deliver true 125dB peaks.

Personally, I estimate I can get high quality 106dB peaks, and that's good enough for me. Subjectively, it has all the impact that I want; extra is for boasting purposes, and bigger homes ...

Edit: measurements of sound levels within a playing orchestra showed that another musician directly in front of the brass section "suffered" 125dB peaks at the biggest crescendos, the highest measured ...

Frank

Last edited by fas42; 15th March 2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 15th March 2013, 10:58 AM   #8649
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
We should fight to retain class AB chips by buying them when we can . Nothing on this planet is so sensible and so cheap . LAB 47 must agree ?
Old 15th March 2013, 11:33 AM   #8650
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel pearson View Post
We should fight to retain class AB chips by buying them when we can . Nothing on this planet is so sensible and so cheap . LAB 47 must agree ?
And so would Marshall, a maker of guitar amps some may have heard of ... , I reckon they use them by the truckloads ...

Frank

Hide this!Advertise here!