Sound Quality Vs. Measurements - Page 826 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th January 2013, 01:43 PM   #8251
diyAudio Member

Dvv . Enya's Sister I think .

CLANNAD-Theme from Harry's Game - YouTube
Old 24th January 2013, 02:41 PM   #8252
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Similar type of music, yes, but not in Enya's league by a long shot.

There can be only one (Enya)!
Old 24th January 2013, 02:50 PM   #8253
diyAudio Member

Funny thing is she is sometimes seen as having created a career for Enya by being first . Some of Enya is great recording .

I have valves that listened to this being recorded .

Fairground Attraction - A Smile In A Whisper - YouTube

Roy Gandy ( Rega ) introduced me to this singer .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMGywGqf7wI

Last edited by nigel pearson; 24th January 2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 24th January 2013, 03:01 PM   #8254
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel pearson View Post
Funny thing is she is sometimes seen as having created a career for Enya by being first . Some of Enya is great recording .

I have valves that listened to this being recorded .

Fairground Attraction - A Smile In A Whisper - YouTube
Bless them both then, but Enya is the one for me. You take the sister.
Old 24th January 2013, 09:22 PM   #8255
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvv View Post
@Frank
In my book, pots are quite simply necessary. Therefore, neither evil nor good. As with any other component, I will always strive to use the best I can get my hands on, or afford, whichever comes first.
Not quite. So far I've found the electronic variety fine, because the inherent contacts don't degrade with time. I can literally hear the quality of the contact of mechanical items start to "go off" soon after the contact surface has been refreshed; electronic units don't suffer from this characteristic.

And there are other alternatives: hard wiring, transformer coupling, LED based attenuators. For me, there is a certain quality level I'm always after, it is literally like reaching the top of a hill, and almost all other systems I listen to are still huffing and puffing on the uphill grind. Once that peak is achieved, everything better again is just gravy -- I fervently believe that audio can be absolutely astounding, better than the "real thing" by a good margin -- if all the stops are pulled out ...

Quote:
The day music stops influencing me is the days I sell of everything, buy a late 70ies receiver and call it a day.
Nice thoughts ...

Frank
Old 25th January 2013, 06:07 AM   #8256
diyAudio Member

Actually, senhor Frank, you should explore your own garden before blasting pots.

As a matter of fact, I happen to own two different models of discrete resistor pots, both from Australia. One I bought, the other I got as a gift. Now, I have not fully employed them yet, both are slated for respective projects, but as you might imagine, my curiosity got the better of me and I couldn't resist rewiring the little Toshiba (152% budget model) so one of those two pots acted as its volume pot.

As you might imagine, the difference was immediately obvious and, well, sizeable. A completely new deal. More like something else altogether. That's as far as I got at the time.

I must add that I am also very happy with Alps Blue pots - they are much better than your El Cheapo variety, at a price, but a price I am willing to pay for the added sonic quality anytime.
Old 25th January 2013, 08:30 AM   #8257
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvv View Post
Actually, senhor Frank, you should explore your own garden before blasting pots.

As a matter of fact, I happen to own two different models of discrete resistor pots, both from Australia. One I bought, the other I got as a gift. Now, I have not fully employed them yet, both are slated for respective projects, but as you might imagine, my curiosity got the better of me and I couldn't resist rewiring the little Toshiba (152% budget model) so one of those two pots acted as its volume pot.

As you might imagine, the difference was immediately obvious and, well, sizeable. A completely new deal
Discrete resistor versions should work better, but I come from the angle that every non gas-tight connection is a bad connection. Once you experience a system where every deficient contact is excluded you can never go back, the signature of the type of distortion that can occur is too distinct.

The key difference is that "bad" recordings lose their smell on a totally clean setup -- to be able to run old, poor recording technology albums at deafening volumes, in total comfort is something to treasure ...

Frank
Old 25th January 2013, 09:05 AM   #8258
diyAudio Member

Talking music . Anyone love Julie London ? This is a later recording .

Julie London-My Funny Valentine(1981) - YouTube
Old 25th January 2013, 11:50 AM   #8259
diyAudio Member

@fas42

The problem I experienced with electronic tone control ICs was enough to convince me to forget them and leave them for TV and such like, where sound quality is not really very important.

True, that was over 20 years ago, it stands to reason they have been improved much over that time, so I'll have another look.
Old 25th January 2013, 11:51 AM   #8260
diyAudio Member

Too jazzy for my taste, Nige. I plain hate jazz.

Just pass me some Steeleye Span, please.

Last edited by dvv; 25th January 2013 at 11:53 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!