Sound Quality Vs. Measurements - Page 790 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th December 2012, 12:30 PM   #7891
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvv View Post
...................... I think MJE 15030/15031 is all one could ever wish for. Very well behaved, good beta, all of 8 Amp current capability, 140V, 30 MHz, what else is there?.............
mje15034/5

Most amplifiers don't need and can't use the 4A dc current rating. So it has plenty current capability for driver duty. It's faster and higher gain.
Does it have lower Cob? I can't remember and have never measured them.
Old 24th December 2012, 01:09 PM   #7892
diyAudio Member

I think D44/45 also for booster duty . BD 139/140 MJE 340/350 . Some don't like the latter . I have had good results and often need 250 V + .
Old 24th December 2012, 02:34 PM   #7893
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
mje15034/5

Most amplifiers don't need and can't use the 4A dc current rating. So it has plenty current capability for driver duty. It's faster and higher gain.
Does it have lower Cob? I can't remember and have never measured them.
Fankly Andrew, I don't see from the data sheets just how is '34 "better", "faster", etc than the '30, except by the fact that it has a higher voltage rating?

Both have voltage ratings far in excess of what is required for a line amp transistor.
Old 24th December 2012, 05:39 PM   #7894
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Well i need 20 amps per channel , so out they go ...

Hey i have a Bat Vk-3 pre in need of a magic volume control cleaning or a new one , any word on VC cleaners , if not i will yank this one for a new expensive time consuming pot install ...

Old 24th December 2012, 06:41 PM   #7895
gootee is offline gootee  United States
diyAudio Member

Home of DeoxIT and HAND-E-GLOVE - CAIG Laboratories, Inc.
Old 24th December 2012, 08:19 PM   #7896
Sin Bin

Or, you can use the concotion service gents use. It only assumes the pot is not encapsulated, but then, if it is, nothing will work.

You need one empty little bottle for eye or nose drops, one with which you can drop only one drop somewhere. Open it up, wash it with water and let it dry.

Buy some vaseline in your local drug store and some medicinal alcohol. Put some vaseline, about your small finger half nail amount, into the bottle you washed. Put in about an equal amount of medicinal alcohol, Close and shake for about 10 minutes or so. The result will be a goo which just a bit more liquid than jelly.

Turn pot to one side and drop just one drop, let it find its way in. Then turn the pot to the maximum opposite position and drop in another single drop. Move the pot slowly from one extreme to the next for about a minute. Pause for a minute, then repeat the moving for another minute.

I guarantee that pot will not do anything it's not supposed to do for the next 3 years at least.

NOTE: Under no circumstances use gasolime and/or petrol instead of the medicinal alcohol, beuase they have a high content of oil which you definitely do NOT want.
Old 25th December 2012, 03:00 AM   #7897
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Well i have some 150proof white rum, medicinal to some .....

Merry xmas Gents ......
Old 25th December 2012, 07:37 AM   #7898
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
Well i have some 150proof white rum, medicinal to some .....

Merry xmas Gents ......
Could be the salvation of your pot, Wayne.
Old 28th December 2012, 09:18 PM   #7899
M Gregg is offline M Gregg  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

servisol,

SERVISOL SUPER 10 SWITCH AND CONTACT CLEANER - FREE P&P | eBay

As usual use at your own risk..however I have had great results..

If you want to kill your pot use WD40...its almost guaranteed to make it as unusable as possible...(Dirt Magnet)

I have even seen people drill a small hole 1mm in an encapsulated pot and use servisol...Why..because if its coming out then there is nothing to lose..guess what it worked..

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited by M Gregg; 28th December 2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old 29th December 2012, 10:35 PM   #7900
diyAudio Member

WD 40 is very good for Quad 33 switches . Jeff Popple of Quad recommended it . He said they started using it by accident when no switch cleaner was available . I used it on my 33 many years ago and it has been trouble free ever since . I do suspect it is superior for that , Jeff thought so .

Happy New Year when it comes . Took my friend out to lunch on the 20 th , wanted to be certain it was before the end of the world . Fox Inn Ardley Oxon . Time Warp on steroids .

Hide this!Advertise here!