Sound Quality Vs. Measurements - Page 779 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2012, 12:50 PM   #7781
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
but you saidWhat do we do if there is a maximum (ratio)?
You have put the doubt in our minds.
I am asking you:
Are you saying that there is a maximum ratio?
I am not asking:
What ratio do you use?

Back to "what are you saying".

Are you telling us there is a maximum ratio to go along with the 16:1 minimum ratio? If the 16:1 ratio is right, it might not be.
What are the consequences of not knowing what the maximum ratio is?
I believe that whenever there is a minimum for something to become operational, then there is most probably also a maximum, when the desired effect starts to turn into its own opposite.

I do not know what is the minimum, or the maximum, I simply assume they exist, as they exist everywhere else.

Defining the maximum, off hand, is in my view like playing lottery, pure guesswork. Many factors are involved, from the size, to type, to specific behavior of each type, making it impossible to actually know each and every combination possible. One simply has to try.

Ever since the beginning of the 70ies, Japanese tweakers had proposed and used the idea of a composite "super" capacitor. Say you need a 10 uF cap someplace - their idea is to use in parallel one cap made of say polyethylene, another made from polyester and a third made of say polycarbonate. They should preferably be all of the same value, i.e. 1/3 of the desired end value. The theory is that in this way, one avoids any specific characteristic and /or sonic imprint of any single capacity, while combining their good sides into one. By this method, you arrive at one value of a "super" capacitor.

And, if for some reason, they cannot all be of the same value, then make sure that the biggest in the lot be made of polycarbonate, since these will, by virtue of the material they are made of, be the fastest, sometimes by far.

I have tried this out just once, since I prefer DC coupled circuitry, and then on a phono RIAA device I made according to Burr-Brown's project specs, though somewhat upgraded by adding current booster transistors. Two were made, one directly as described by BB, and another by using "super" capacitors.

I have to admit that the one using "super" capacitors was that n-th bit cleaner and clearer, I'd say just over the threshold of audiability. Small, but noticeable.

Last edited by dvv; 6th December 2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10th December 2012, 07:13 PM   #7782
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
diyAudio Member

who remember these .....?

products
Old 10th December 2012, 07:29 PM   #7783
diyAudio Member

I heard the original Beveridge with some master tapes I had made on my Stellavox. Very impressive-probably as close to an orchestra in the room as I had heard at that time-of course, that was 1982 or so, and things have moved on. Regards
Old 10th December 2012, 09:53 PM   #7784
diyAudio Member

Yes it was an impressive piece of Kit ......
Old 11th December 2012, 12:23 AM   #7785
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
who remember these .....?

products
Never heard them but I loved the idea, both the lens allowing a planar radiator behind and the OTL amp, which made perfect sense.

Floyd Toole remarked to me that Harold Beveridge was in some ways too smart for his time. It's nice to see his sons carrying on.
Old 11th December 2012, 01:38 AM   #7786
diyAudio Member

Very interesting to hear that Brad ......
Old 11th December 2012, 02:16 AM   #7787
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
Very interesting to hear that Brad ......
OTOH I tried, years ago, to persuade my friend the local audiophile to allow me to construct a direct drive amp for his then-Acoustat panels. This guy is heavily motivated to have things no one else has, modifies everything, and initially he didn't realize I was talking about getting rid of the stepup transformer completely. I could see him agonizing, as I described that the amp would be developed and made absolutely stable by using a carefully duplicated dummy load based on small-signal measurements of the panels.

But in the end he demurred. "No, you'll have to get your own speakers."

When I visited him recently after a long lapse, he had moved on to the next-to-largest Sound Lab 'stats (the largest wouldn't fit in the room). If anything he is more nervous about arcing now than ever, and despite the big amp he had which he deemed necessary to properly drive the speakers, he was very cautious about levels when I gave him some materials with which he was not already familiar (despite my assurances that there was not that much low frequency energy).

I think I'll stick with conventional cones, surrounds, and motors myself
Old 11th December 2012, 03:34 AM   #7788
diyAudio Member

Lol, nothing like a big sissy speakers ....

Have to admit i'm a bit cautious when playing strange material myself , dont want to launch the output stage , never ever worry about the speakers ...

Old 11th December 2012, 03:50 AM   #7789
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Reminds me. A friend of the family, years ago, used to take Peter Gabriel IV, deliberately, to audio dealers. Hmmm, the sales chappie would say, at the start of the first track, that's been recorded very softly, I'll just adjust the volume a bit ...

Frank
Old 11th December 2012, 06:56 AM   #7790
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Frankly, I have only heard of Beveridge speakers, never even seen one.

But, as Brad pointed out, it is indeed good to see his sons carrying on the ideas of their father. Restores some of my views on audio dedication.

Hide this!Advertise here!