Sound Quality Vs. Measurements - Page 765 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th November 2012, 09:18 PM   #7641
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvv View Post
John, never you mind ol' Wayne, all that sub-2 Ohms current must have gone to his head in the end.

You're still a cool looking dude, and your waistline clearly shows you are a man well capable of appreciating the finer points of life. No man can be complete without that. Life is far too short and valuable to waste on worrying about cholesterol, lipides and such like forms of distortion.

Just slew it all the way, is what I say. If you take out the coffeine from coffee, then what the hell is left to drink, other than coloured tap water, right?

Don't you pay any attention to these modern whizz bang kids, heck, they even have sex via the Internet. And they worry about my cholesterol? Sheesh ....
I said changes .....

Anyway i gave no opinion, just my observation and sex via internet is safe sex , the PC gets it ........
I found his Ampex comments interesting, obvious fond memories ........
Old 21st November 2012, 06:01 AM   #7642
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvv View Post
Don Nigelino, how are you going to tackle the problem with all these minimalist devices, I'm just waiting to see who thinks of kicking out the power switch, as it's an extra contact and subverts true sound from coming out?

How true . I was born on the same day as Cervantes .
Old 21st November 2012, 06:40 AM   #7643
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel pearson View Post
Why am I not surprised?

But seriously, and I'm guessing now, I would think that in these all digital days, things like octave graphic equalizer would be rare birds.

Years ago, they were down to being cheap'n'cheerful toys, in fact mostly misused, because those who owned them had neither the knowledge, nor the need to apply proper measurements to make full use of them.

Today, I understand many new receivers have full on-board calibration facilities and are supplied with measuring microphones, anbling a formally more harmonious blending in of audio gear. Haven't tried it, so I have no idea whether it works and how.

Which makes octave, and even third octave, equilizers vintage gear. That should make them relatively cheap to buy, and gives one much leeway in rebuilding them, given that most are op amp based.

In your case, I would imagine that perhaps a parametric equalizer would be a better proposition. I should still have a schematic somewhere, I'll look it up. Its key benefit is that instead of awful cheap pots you can at least install something decent, like Alps Blue, or some such. It probably won't be too cheap, but it could be really well done, what with all those op amps you seem to grow in your garden.
Old 21st November 2012, 11:32 AM   #7644
diyAudio Member

From how I have understood this we do better just to notch out the peak and throw it away . The analogy I would strike is two colour process of the 1920's . The eye will put back the colour . I am guessing that is what happens here ? It is so nice not to have to chop down all the mountains and fill all the valley's . My friend supposed this and it seems correct ?

100 % agree about the step beyond what was asked . My assumption is a correct technique up to 200 Hz ?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=19...w=1280&bih=885
Old 23rd November 2012, 11:35 AM   #7645
diyAudio Member

For DF 96 especially . Hope you like it ( thanks Chris Lawton who sent it ) ?

xkcd: Circuit Diagram

Tom Baker who I would be proud to resemble said this approximately on a show called Fort Boyard . " Ships are very safe these days .............. On average how often do they sink ? ............. Only once !!!! ( big smile after an equal pause ) .
Old 23rd November 2012, 11:45 AM   #7646
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel pearson View Post
Wow, you must be extremely old!
Old 23rd November 2012, 11:54 AM   #7647
diyAudio Member

I said it for fun ( truly , sort of Methuselah me ) . Cervantes perhaps marks the beginning of the enlightenment ? To be even then seeing the rustic cavalier as we do !
Hey Ho .
Old 23rd November 2012, 12:12 PM   #7648
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Good circuit, but where do the groundside electrons go? And no Mingford or Bayshag components, which are essential for any decent audio.
Old 23rd November 2012, 12:21 PM   #7649
diyAudio Member

Work in progress no doubt like the LHC ?

This also ?

http://www.belt.demon.co.uk/

Last edited by nigel pearson; 23rd November 2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 23rd November 2012, 01:28 PM   #7650
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

No. Spoof I can cope with, but spoof masquerading as reality is too much for me. When I watch a film/TV I like to know in advance whether it is comedy or drama. The exception is politics, which I know includes both.

Hide this!Advertise here!