Sound Quality Vs. Measurements - Page 759 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th November 2012, 06:19 PM   #7581
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
Its DIY DVV, you can build what you want , space is there for what was suggested . turn the trans on it's side, layer tower style on the inside...

Go for it ....
I will, Wayne old buddy, don't you worry none.

My inital assumption was let's do this one right, and damn the cost. Logically, I am building a jet plane to go to the toilet, since my speakers are a very easy load and are rather effcient, a nominally 50 WRMS amp will drive them to nirvana and back, but hey, who cares?

Also, I already have like 80% of the materials, I have a case of 20 heat sinks for high power dissipation, I have like 25 or 30 10,000 uF/63V capacitors, about 16 4,700 uF/63V and around 20 2,200 uF/63V capacitors, all by the German manufacturer Fischer & Tausche, in addiiton to some from Panasonic and a load of caps from A/V company of Italy. These are pure junk, but dirt cheap and a Godsend for testing and prototyping. A few hundred MPS small signals of all types, loads of BC types, 60+ 2SK170 FETs, tons of Wima (which I need for my line filters) and so forth - you get the idea. When you work it all out, I actually have around 70-80% of the materials, and the hard part to get - all I need are diodes and resistors, and you know how dirt cheap they are and how easy to get.

So, I can afford to go wild if I want to, I've paid the bill already. My priorities have changecd - my dilemma now is whether to mount all 8 one channel power trannies on one heatsink, or whether to use two such heat sinks in a monoblock package, whether to throw in an additional cooling fan which could trigger whet the heat sinks reach a temperature point, etc. Then, if I do, should I go for an El Cheapo fan, or buy a Papst all metal fan, with a life expectancy of 1 million work hours, but priced at just over $100 each?

Jeez, it's a hard life, isn't it?
Old 14th November 2012, 08:32 PM   #7582
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Carmina Burana will require a lot more than 50 watts , as shaggy and bounty Killa ... for sure the swedes will need more .......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-3zov8UsJc

Last edited by a.wayne; 14th November 2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old 14th November 2012, 08:53 PM   #7583
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Carmina Burana will require a lot more than 50 watts...
Peak, or average?
Old 14th November 2012, 08:54 PM   #7584
Sin Bin

Peak ... Sustained Peaks ....
Old 14th November 2012, 09:04 PM   #7585
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Sustained peaks? Aren't those called plateaus?

I've been looking back in the thread to see how much output voltage DVV is aiming for, I'll find it.
Old 14th November 2012, 09:19 PM   #7586
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Giving up one more secret of successful sound...
In my amps there is no difference between peaks and average. Power supply, headsinks or output tubes should deliver infinite time the peak power. Such a way dynamic distortions are minimal. It is one secret why audiophiles prefer SE amps. If to build PP class AB amps similarly they sound no worse than SE monsters.
Old 14th November 2012, 10:22 PM   #7587
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
In my amps there is no difference between peaks and average. Power supply, headsinks or output tubes should deliver infinite time the peak power. Such a way dynamic distortions are minimal. It is one secret why audiophiles prefer SE amps. If to build PP class AB amps similarly they sound no worse than SE monsters.
Modern, "crap" pop recordings are good for testing this sort of capability ... they're compressed to billyo, which means that at 3/4 volume you're close to being deafened, continually; then the trick is whether one can adjust the volume up or down around this point with zero tonal changes ...

Frank
Old 14th November 2012, 10:33 PM   #7588
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
Sustained peaks? Aren't those called plateaus?

I've been looking back in the thread to see how much output voltage DVV is aiming for, I'll find it.
Sustained Crescendo ...

On a serious note , the crescendo on some passages last for at 10-15 seconds. Choirs have away of separating the wheat from the chaff , not to speak of the 10 amp fuses letting go ... ..

Old 14th November 2012, 10:35 PM   #7589
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
Easy to do with those little "sustained" 20 watt monsters .....
Old 14th November 2012, 10:57 PM   #7590
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Easy to do with those little "sustained" 20 watt monsters .....
It does not matter. My Pyramid amps have 2x100W output power. It's transformer is for 360W continuous, it is quite different from what you can find in that 7+1 "1000W" amps

In Tower amp I have 3x300W toroids.

Hide this!Advertise here!