Sound Quality Vs. Measurements - Page 741 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th October 2012, 03:50 PM   #7401
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel pearson View Post
Hi Wave . I was told to do the whole Trans Siberian Railroad trip is less than $200 . I offered to take some Slovakian friends on it if they bought the food and Vodka . 8 days . I planned for the coldest period . Your pictures convinced me although I might have to revise the time of year . My boss was furious as he thought I was making false promises to these young lads . No , the thing about buying the food was the bargain and far less than a DVV summer vacation . The lads offered me a tip to Chernobyl which was about 100 km , the boss firmly said no . It is now banned as the sate wasn't getting a cut , not safety !

We were talking about when transistors took over . I would say 1967 is my best guess . I think the Apollo project was partly responsible . Like lighting a fire the interest doesn't need space to fuel it now .

Technical advice if possible . Would adding a capacitance multiplier ( single MOS FET , in place of PSU choke ) to a SE tube amp increase second harmonic distortion ? It looks to me it does . I said to myself it is an amplifier , it must being doing something ? I could try a Darlington made up of TV transistors as I suspect they would be very linear as a current amp .
So, DVV is the guy taking burgeois vacations here?

While Nige is the guy who takes pedestrian vacations?
Old 9th October 2012, 04:49 PM   #7402
diyAudio Member

My friend has a budget of $400 to go to Marrakesh for three/four days at the end of the month . This I must see . I will go if so .
Old 9th October 2012, 05:43 PM   #7403
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel pearson View Post
I planned for the coldest period . Your pictures convinced me although I might have to revise the time of year .
Yes, if you prefer instead of freezing to feed mosquitoes.

You can live there for free, no need for $200. Berries, mushrooms, fish, meat, honey, cedar nuts, you name it. But be advised that The Master of Taiga (siberian forest) is Bear.
Old 9th October 2012, 09:58 PM   #7404
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Can you identify them because their scat has little bells in it and smells like pepper?
Old 10th October 2012, 06:40 AM   #7405
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
Yes, if you prefer instead of freezing to feed mosquitoes.

You can live there for free, no need for $200. Berries, mushrooms, fish, meat, honey, cedar nuts, you name it. But be advised that The Master of Taiga (siberian forest) is Bear.
Hence the saying "Russian Bear"?

A few days ago, I caught a program on Nat Geo (which I like watching on occasion) about a guy living in the wild in USA for research purposes, whose best friend and inseparable partner is a grizzly bear. Really looks surreal, you see a man walking and a damn big bear trotting next to him like a puppy. They live together, they fish together, they even hunt together, and share equally each and every time.

The man says bears are great friends, so long as you always remember that they are bears and you think like a bear, rather then attributing them human characteristics.

That's a tip for you, Nige, if you should get to Siberia.
Old 10th October 2012, 10:15 AM   #7406
diyAudio Member

If I had lived under communism I am sure I would have been sent before now .
Bears , who needs them ? They fish for salmon so can't be all bad . It was recently discovered that the Panda is a bear . I think we might have guessed . DNA does tell us the most unlikely things !

It is said running at them is the only defense . It is so rare anything does it might just catch them off guard ( reportedly it did work ) . They are said to run faster than Usain Bolt . They can smell you 50 km away .
Old 10th October 2012, 11:19 AM   #7407
diyAudio Member

Unfortunately that guy met an early death:
"Treadwell was discovered dead and partially eaten by one of his beloved grizzlies at his campsite in Katmai National Park in the fall of 2003. His girlfriend, Amie Huguenard, was also killed."
Zoom lens is your friend. Bear (or moose, elk, etc) isn't.
Old 10th October 2012, 11:38 AM   #7408
diyAudio Member

Any of you guys coming to Rocky Mountain Audio Fest 2012
We have a combined stand Elektor USA, AudioXpress and Linear Audio.
Bob Cordell will show his VinylTrak phono/preamp.

jan
Old 10th October 2012, 11:59 AM   #7409
diyAudio Member

Cant make Rocky Mountain this year . Say hello to Frank Schroeder ( pick up arms ) and our friends Dr Ijaz Khan + Barry Tayman if you bump into them .

Nigel
Old 10th October 2012, 12:31 PM   #7410
diyAudio Member

I'll look 'em up!

Hide this!Advertise here!