Sound Quality Vs. Measurements - Page 740 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th October 2012, 01:46 PM   #7391
Siberia is online now Siberia  Lithuania
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
I plan to be in Russia the next Summer, but unfortunately time is short. I plan to visit my mama and grandchildren, among others...
Good to hear, because I'm longing for some different news from Russia than this. Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 8th October 2012, 04:39 PM   #7392
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberia View Post
Good to hear, because I'm longing for some different news from Russia than this. Sorry, couldn't resist.
Yes, wilderness. But they live there...
Old 8th October 2012, 05:06 PM   #7393
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
diyAudio Member

For the record, I have seen drunks on the streets of Stockholm, Paris, London, New York, you name it.

Some of the other stunts shown I have never seen, nor am I keen to.

But people are people, and people will do all sorts of crazy things - everywhere.
Old 8th October 2012, 06:48 PM   #7394
diyAudio Member

In 1999 in South Africa some British students went on excursion, for wine tasting; once one bus with students passed another, and drunk student decided to show them naked butt through the window.
... the whole country prayed for his life watching TV news. Medicine in SA was still great then, the guy that fell down from the window survived!

It is the miracle how drunk people survive falls from windows, including windows of buses, on freeways...
Old 8th October 2012, 08:22 PM   #7395
Siberia is online now Siberia  Lithuania
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvv View Post
For the record, I have seen drunks on the streets of Stockholm, Paris, London, New York, you name it.

Some of the other stunts shown I have never seen, nor am I keen to.

But people are people, and people will do all sorts of crazy things - everywhere.
Of course, it's a cliche of the country. Same walking on the wild side could be seen here localy too. Maybe on a more rare scale.

Speaking cliches, there are worst.
Old 8th October 2012, 09:05 PM   #7396
diyAudio Member

What is amazing, US is populated by emigrants from many different countries. But despite of that Hollywood use artificial cliches to picture foreign countries. For example, people often ask, "How did you live in Siberia, it is so cold there!"
Here are some typical pictures taken in Siberia I found in the Net:

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 8th October 2012, 10:27 PM   #7397
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Yea, but here we invented the phrase "Hey Buba, hold my beer and watch this!" What does that translate to in Serbian?
Old 9th October 2012, 07:09 AM   #7398
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberia View Post
Of course, it's a cliche of the country. Same walking on the wild side could be seen here localy too. Maybe on a more rare scale.

Speaking cliches, there are worst.
If one wants to nitpick, then each and every country could be cliched.

In really large countries, such as USA, ever regional differences could be made big. For example, I have heard several Bostonians and New Yorkers say that California is not of this planet. Unfortunately, I never managed to get off the East Coast, so I haven't seen what they mean myself.

In 1992, I was on Taiwan. While their level of development was impressive, to say the least, I was amazed at how thin is the outer skin of civilization. My impression is that a power outage lasting say 3 days would bring it all back and the thin shell of civilization would crumble. It's still a very strong impression about the Chinese I have today.

Cliche has it that they have 5,000 years of civilization behing them, but nobody wonders exactly WHO had it all. Certainly not 99% of their population, which was too busy surving. Only some mandarins, rich enough to sit back and muse upon the world.

Just look at the photos Wave put up. To an average Westener, they must be something like a revelation, because Siberia is traditionally thought of a hell on earth, easy to get to, hard to leave. Admittedly, it was that too, but overall, it looks a lot different than the general public thinks.

On the other hand, some years ago, ex US Secretary of State Madeline Albright publically wondered whether Russia really thought Siberia was really only theirs? Remember, what is known about Siberia makes it easily the richest mineral and oil area in the world, bar none, and over 80% of Siberia has not been prospected yet.

If we were to cliche this, how would that make USA look?

Personally, I like to streer clear of any cliches, I find they have a grain of truth in them, but are mostly false and inaccurate.
Old 9th October 2012, 07:18 AM   #7399
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek View Post
Yea, but here we invented the phrase "Hey Buba, hold my beer and watch this!" What does that translate to in Serbian?
Honestly, I don't know what the phrase means, but translating popular sayings and wisdom always boils down to translating idioms. Hard to do, always a challenge, but more often than not, it can be done.

I have been a member of Serbian Translator's Association since 1979, and have served on several boards of the association, so I think I have earned the right to say this - good translation depends much on the translator's own intellectual and educational level, and on his/her imagination. In essence, we translate the meaning, not the words per se, unless it's some form of technical documentation, in which case there's no fooling around, you either know the jargon or you don't.

The above sentence is easy to translate on its surface meaning: Burazeru, drži mi pivo i gledaj ovo. Or, in Serbian Cyrrilic: Буразеру, држи ми пиво и гледај ово.

But I am not sure it carries across the real underlying meaning, frankly, I have never heard the expression before.

Many years ago, I mused over translating "slew rate" properly. Not that I had to, any half baked electrical engineer will know what it means in its English form, but as a challenge. I mused over it for a full week before I came up with a roughly equivalent phrase in Serbian. Never tried to launch it.

Last edited by dvv; 9th October 2012 at 07:23 AM.
Old 9th October 2012, 08:57 AM   #7400
diyAudio Member

Hi Wave . I was told to do the whole Trans Siberian Railroad trip is less than $200 . I offered to take some Slovakian friends on it if they bought the food and Vodka . 8 days . I planned for the coldest period . Your pictures convinced me although I might have to revise the time of year . My boss was furious as he thought I was making false promises to these young lads . No , the thing about buying the food was the bargain and far less than a DVV summer vacation . The lads offered me a tip to Chernobyl which was about 100 km , the boss firmly said no . It is now banned as the sate wasn't getting a cut , not safety !

We were talking about when transistors took over . I would say 1967 is my best guess . I think the Apollo project was partly responsible . Like lighting a fire the interest doesn't need space to fuel it now .

Technical advice if possible . Would adding a capacitance multiplier ( single MOS FET , in place of PSU choke ) to a SE tube amp increase second harmonic distortion ? It looks to me it does . I said to myself it is an amplifier , it must being doing something ? I could try a Darlington made up of TV transistors as I suspect they would be very linear as a current amp .

Hide this!Advertise here!