Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th October 2012, 03:07 PM   #7381
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Measurement related, if not sound. ( Speed of light thread closed)

Just read, Schrodinger's cat lives. It has been shown that by doing multiple fuzzy measurements, you can arrive at an accurate result without changing the state.
Old 5th October 2012, 03:08 PM   #7382
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel pearson View Post
I had a chart published in about 1908 listing many ten's of semiconductor materials . I think 1880 was when Siemens produced selenium devises commercially ?

I read that a French engineer claimed to have perfected television in the 1880's using selenium cells . Some say Baird knew of this and added amplification . If I am right both worked by optical scanning ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius_Edgar_Lilienfeld
History of Communications - Historical Periods in Television Technology: 1880-1929
https://encrypted.google.com/patents...5&hl=en&lr=all
Computer History Museum - The Silicon Engine | Timeline
And it took until 1955 to build the first BJT. Guess they were not in a hurry as the tubes worked pretty well until they needed to send them to space.
Old 5th October 2012, 03:39 PM   #7383
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarso
The next step will be to utilize entanglement to eliminate cable distortions.
I am sure certain parties are already working in this (funded by the military of course, and they would have to shoot us if they told us how it works), and it will appear at your local snake oil merchant very soon. Probably involves room temperature near-superconductors (not to be confused with near-room temperature superconductors - very different stuff).
Old 5th October 2012, 03:49 PM   #7384
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
I am sure certain parties are already working in this (funded by the military of course, and they would have to shoot us if they told us how it works), and it will appear at your local snake oil merchant very soon. Probably involves room temperature near-superconductors (not to be confused with near-room temperature superconductors - very different stuff).
Yes, and they discovered the entanglement effects while trying to straighten up the wiring behind their stack of equipment.

"Oh what a tangled web we weave..."
Old 5th October 2012, 03:59 PM   #7385
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
It sounds like taking TV and fridge on camping. No, thank you, I pass.

A man on a beech saw beautiful lady, with legs growing almost from ears. He approached her and started talking to her, asking if she would like to spend some nice time with him. She asked, "What is your profession?" He said, "I am a machinist". She said, "Now imagine, you work with your machines, got tired, and one weekend went on a beech to relax, but see machines, machines, machines all around!"

Last edited by Wavebourn; 5th October 2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 5th October 2012, 04:53 PM   #7386
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post

A man on a beech saw beautiful lady, with legs growing almost from ears. He approached her and started talking to her, asking if she would like to spend some nice time with him. She asked, "What is your profession?" He said, "I am a machinist". She said, "Now imagine, you work with your machines, got tired, and one weekend went on a beech to relax, but see machines, machines, machines all around!"
It was my reply to dvv idea.
Old 6th October 2012, 07:27 AM   #7387
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Not in my experience, I must say. Some of the best conversations I have ever had were done over shish kebab and ice cold beer, in an unassuming envirnoment, among people who felt that they were with friends.

Since that would not be a conference, audio would be talked about, but among other things as well, just as the feeling took the company. Just let it flow and play by ear, see how everybody feels and take it from there. If we should spend the day without even mentioning audio (MOST unlikely), so what, the idea is that everybody goes home happy.

Rest assured I would not pass up the opportunity to make a few comments about your truck, or SUV, or whatever.

Not to even mention your toobes.

Anyway, that's just a nice dream, you live where you live, and I'm still like 7,000 miles away, with lots of salty water in between. Any real chance I have of meeting in person people from this forum would be the UK members, I am hankering to hit London again, haven't been there since 1986, and I sorely want to go. You could even say I actually need to visit the UK again, although my visit to Scotland in 2009 helped a lot.
Old 6th October 2012, 05:55 PM   #7388
diyAudio Member

Each October we have meetings in San Francisco, called BAF. You are welcome!

BAF means, we are Burning Amplifiers in Flame, instead of coil for barbecue.
Old 7th October 2012, 06:51 AM   #7389
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Each October we have meetings in San Francisco, called BAF. You are welcome!

BAF means, we are Burning Amplifiers in Flame, instead of coil for barbecue.
Thank you for the invitation, Wave.

I know about that meeting, a few friends have attended the last two.

However, the same old problem is still there - the sheer distance, which imposes stiff prices on it, from where I live. Given the current economic crisis, which is MUCH worse here than there as our starting point was already poor, the chances of my coming are practically nil. Local unemployment rate is well above 40%, average monthly salary is below $500, the rest you can piece together.

Sure, my Family, Inc. does better than that, but this year we have already spent quite a bit on the new car (about $20 grand), for our summer vacations (about $5 grand in total for son and us), and we are still trying to find employment for our son.

And it will get worse before it can get better.

If you were me, under the circumstances, would you tax the family budget with say $3 grand for what is essentially a fun trip? Plus the plane tickets?

So, sorry but I'll have to pass.
Old 8th October 2012, 01:03 AM   #7390
diyAudio Member

I plan to be in Russia the next Summer, but unfortunately time is short. I plan to visit my mama and grandchildren, among others...

Hide this!Advertise here!