Sound Quality Vs. Measurements - Page 723 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd September 2012, 06:29 PM   #7221
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvv View Post
If memory serves, we did discuss this, albeit briefly, a short while ago.

Perhaps I should lay off H/K for a while.
Ah so that was in this thread? Hard to keep up

I have no connection anymore, other than some retained old friends, with harman/kardon, but I'm pleased when you mention them, as there were times, before the suits, the time-to-market worshipers, and the quarterly-results devotees began to dominate, when some good things came out under that brand and related ones.
Old 22nd September 2012, 07:39 PM   #7222
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
I can't contribute until you guys get 'up to speed' on slew rate, how it can be increased, etc.
Now, I'd just LOVE to know how it can be increased, aside from using high bias FETs instead of bipolars in the input stage(s).

Come on John, if you have ideas, get them out, push us in the right direction.
Old 22nd September 2012, 07:44 PM   #7223
dvv is offline dvv  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarso View Post
Ah so that was in this thread? Hard to keep up

I have no connection anymore, other than some retained old friends, with harman/kardon, but I'm pleased when you mention them, as there were times, before the suits, the time-to-market worshipers, and the quarterly-results devotees began to dominate, when some good things came out under that brand and related ones.
Brad, you obviously haven't noticed, but if I were to call myself a fan of any one company, it would surely be H/K. I kn ow there is better out there, but I believe H/K did, until about a decade ago, produce some of the best gear for the money it cost. In many ways, a poor man's High End company, although they did have some boo-boos, actually inevitable in a long line of products.

If I were to name any one company which has had profound influence on me, it would surely be H/K, followed by Analog Devices. Nothing else would be accurate or true.

Obviously, a very personal thing. I am a bit out of touch with their current models, but I have studied (literally) their best 1990-2000, and have a rather fat collection of their service schematics.
Old 22nd September 2012, 07:57 PM   #7224
diyAudio Member

To get around the problems, just review (hopefully) 'The Monolithic Op Amp: A Tutorial Study' by Jim Solomon You can get it directly through 'Google'.
Then you will come to understand virtually everything you need to know.
Old 22nd September 2012, 08:40 PM   #7225
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvv View Post
Brad, you obviously haven't noticed, but if I were to call myself a fan of any one company, it would surely be H/K.
No, I have noticed, and have been pleased to see it.

I can relate an anecdote I heard from the proverbial horse's mouth about some of the current state of affairs with the Harman brands. The CEO believed that as much as possible manufacturing, and even design, should be moved offshore. He dismantled a whole department in the process. But there is still a group in Northridge and some elsewhere that are doing some design and development. However, they have to get the majority of the products completed and manufactured out of the country.

One product, not yet released, received little in the way of listening tests, and the offshore people said that they had done things their way and preferred their equalization to that of a key person in Northridge, complaining about a lack of bass. Samples were sent to be evaluated here.

It turned out that they had loaded the coefficients backwards. The woofer got the mid-tweet EQ and vice versa.

Now anyone can make a mistake. The more interesting thing was the attitude.

In the long run we will all get better. How long a run that will be I won't hazard a guess.
Old 22nd September 2012, 10:34 PM   #7226
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
To get around the problems, just review (hopefully) 'The Monolithic Op Amp: A Tutorial Study' by Jim Solomon You can get it directly through 'Google'.
Then you will come to understand virtually everything you need to know.
John,

Just finished "reviewing" that one in paperback (thought it was part of IC OP AMPS IEEE series by R.G Meyer).

But other than my sloppy wording I thought everyone else's comments were right in-line with it.

Thanks
-Antonio
Old 22nd September 2012, 11:24 PM   #7227
diyAudio Member

I think that reading Solomon's paper can get us all, in touch with what is important in design for maximizing slew rate in a specific design. I noted confusion between rise time limiting and slew rate limiting, etc. Best that everybody note Solomon's paper that, in 1974, was a REVELATION to me, when I first read it, even though I recently had taken courses from R.G.Meyer, and D.O.Peterson who apparently taught both Solomon and Meyer on nonlinear analysis of linear circuits regarding the same subject matter.
It is his PRACTICAL and INTUITIVE approach to the subject that was the breakthrough, and has made this single paper so often recommended.
Old 23rd September 2012, 04:38 PM   #7228
diyAudio Member

Has everybody reviewed the tutorial? I am sorry that I still don't know how to add a an external link, but it is easy to Google and get your OWN pristine copy of this almost 40 year old paper, made when IC op amp design was young, and clarity was important. I do recommend it to you, because many here are strong on opinions, and a little weak on practical theory. Trust me, I was in the dark about 5 years, for the most part, before I read this tutorial. There are several other topics, equally interesting, that were included in the tutorial, including: thermal feedback (trust me, its real), and 'tail poles' to name two, relatively obscure topics. If you want to understand why Bob Cordell and I use resistors in SERIES with our active current sources, think 'tail pole' reduction.
Old 23rd September 2012, 08:03 PM   #7229
gk7 is offline gk7
diyAudio Member

http://ece.wpi.edu/~mcneill/524/handouts/solomon.pdf
Old 23rd September 2012, 08:13 PM   #7230
diyAudio Member

Thanks, gk7.

Hide this!Advertise here!