Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
8 out of 10 I would guess? It's the inaudibility to see the world the usual way. The reason being it is inefficient. My boss says " tell me and I began to understand, show me then I know" . The written words carry great power to most . To me it is a 3 D image of a thing that I can touch , solder, machine, agonies over. With my boss I would say write to him and he has no idea. His ex partner said his strengths are also his weaknesses. Well that is it in a nutshell, our weaknesses are often talents. Remember what Talent means, it was a gold coin. Both my boss and I are visual people. I would call the ears the same thing. He has his degree in industrial design which gave him a job at the worlds top cola brand! We get along well as we don't find the job of the other very interesting. If you like we make pies. His the case and me the filling. Apt that it is Pi.

Yeah, I'm a visual and text person as well, the spoken word doesn't transcend very well unless I visualize it, I'd say I visualize audio, i.e. sound, to a certain extent as well. I thought it was interesting that some people have learned how to echolocate - like bats - that they perform this partially in the visual cortex.

I recall a number wizard or "human calculator" was using a non-standard way to process numbers as well, we usually use "area 44" to process numbers, he's not, in fact he doesn't even need to think, it's hypothesized that he's using an area of the mind related to eye movement.

I highly recommend watching it — Stan Lee's Superhumans with The Human Calculator Scott Flansburg on The History Channel - YouTube

Say i have a 4.7 Ohm resistor and a 6.8uF cap before the tweeter.
The tweeter is, say a good 25mm soft dome that goes to 20kHz, -3dB.
When i bypass the resistor plus the cap the response gets a bit lifted over 20kHz making the tweeter " faster ".
Also most wire wound resistors that i prefer in speakers have a certain inductance that is bypassed too.
I know it is a minor detail and sometimes i hear what i want to hear.
An early from of Alzheimers ?

OK, you mean poly for resonant tank , yes i do the same, when you said Bypass, it meant something else to me ...

Nigel, i do not agree.
Of cause wide bandwidth brings out problems in the treble of the source material.
But bandwidth brings also detail, resolution and " space ".
The probelem is in my view when you have wide bandwidth your system should better be very low distortion too, especially in the treble.
For example i just designed a new line stage for Martina.
Sofar she uses a buffer only that i also made.
With your amplifier design that is not a problem because you opted for a lot of gain.
With a conventional amp with say 26dB of gain a buffer may not be enough when you want to listen loud.
After a lot of permutations i came up with a design ( with the help of Frans de Wit and AS-Audio ) that can be configured as a buffer and a linestage with up to 12dB of gain.
That stage is of extremely low distortion.
Compared to the buffer Martina has it sounds very much more transparent and detailed and curiously much less sharp and vailed in the treble, especially with CD.
Voices sound as good as i heard, really full bodied and with less silbilance then before so it can not be the high bandwidth, it must be the lower distortion.
With vinyl that is another problem.
A Denon DL103 with round needle has up to 1% FIM in the treble so you better roll off your system a bit.
Compare that to the Lyra Atlas that has only 0.1% ( measured by Steroplay, i was surprized too ). This is a world of difference.

My table is far more extended in the top-end than the CD, way more 3 D too, there is something really wrong with CD top end, its like good class-D ...

FIM distortion 0.07% ! 100u tracking !

What reference? What test LP and track? Of course there's the problem of the classic LP's cut with pre-distortion for spherical carts.

I would love to sit down with someone and play with these carts at 5kHz+ and some pink noise/IM tracks.

EDIT - One last question, folks have been making line contact stylii for 30+ years why now is there a real measurable difference?

Last edited:
I can ask Stereoplay how they EXACTLY measured it.
As far as i can tell they use the JVC test record.
Wayne, now i am confused.
First i talked about a bypass cap in speakers then a talked about a cap, parallel to the input of a phonostage.
I have published distortion measurements on the MPP thread of my Titan cartridge.
I think Scott you have seen it.
I got around 0.4% at 1kHz at 5cm/sec, mainly second.
I can measure at other frequencies.
Maybe we should open a thread about distortion in vinyl.
In my system it is pari.
I get a very satifying sound with CD on my Forsell Air Refference.
I also use Amarra on my computer that can play high resolution files.
My experience is that it matters more how the music is recorded and mastered.
I have tracks that sound better on CD then on high resolution mediums.
The best digital sound i heard was from a high resolution martertape,Boz Skaggs, life in the studio on TAD speakers with Pass electronics BiAmped ( good for you Wayne ) through a huge Pacific Microsonics DA converter i have newer seen again.
My Vinyl Plaback is a Spriral Groove SG1 with centroid arm and Lyra Atlas.
The same picture, it matters much what is on the record. From downright poor to awesome. I do not care much abou the clicks and pops between takes but i hate hum and noise from the phonostage.

Yes, but when you scroll down an even better profile managed 2%.
That is 3 times better then a round needle with 6%.
Here are my old measurements.
Lyra Titan i with 1kHz 5cm/sec.
This is with my best phono stage i can make.
A diffential stage with a transformer at the input.
Secondary wraped in a diffential shunt feedback loop to erode the secondary impedance.
It is called the Primal Scream.
It manages -150dB from 1V refference the lower trace ( red ) shows.
When you see what noise the groove makes it does not seem to make sense to go to super low noise. An AD797 is maybe agequate. That whould make my work over the last 30years and especially the last 5 years here ( more then 10.000 posts ) obsolete.
Nevertheless i hear improvements when the noise of the phono stage is lower then 1nV/QHz.
Anyway, we have discussed that too

Attachments

• Titan i 1kHz Primal Scream.pdf
    42.8 KB · Views: 48
Well, there was a level shift of 10dB so S/N of that stage is -160dB ref 1V.
That seems like a miracle but the transformer has only 0.75 Ohm primary and does not have 1/F noise. When you want the lowest noise physical possible a transformer is in need.
Even the undisputable Burkhard Vogel said that in a privat discussion to me.
Read it in the next issue of Linear Audio.
What is left is the distortion in the transformer.
First i use a Me-Metall core ( not popular i know but less distortion in the bass then an amorphous cobalt core ) and then i wrap it in a feedback loop.
I do everything wrong so to say.
As for the sound ask Martina and Stig.

Red is whith a short, blue is with the cartridge and wire ( you see that even a 5 Ohm Lyra Titan has more noise then my phono ), light blue is the cable, shorted at the Titan pins. You see that the cable picks up hum.
If have a new cable now that improved the sound. It is a Lyra Phono Pipe with 100% shielding.
It looks like hose for showering so it has metal rings around it.
Even better whould be a massive copper tube like the Forsell cables but that is VERY stiff so you can only bend it to shape.
That also distroys turntable isolation.

Status
Not open for further replies.